Hey thump (Warn Hubs) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 11:20 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey thump (Warn Hubs)

I need $55 worth of wrenches to do the hub swap ? OW !!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 12:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Hey thump (Warn Hubs)

Yeah, I went ahead and bought the $40 (2 1/2") thin wall socket from NAPA. But here's the deal... if you are going to reuse the auto hubs and you remove the wheel bearings you really need the right socket so you can preload the bearings and get them seated correctly. If you aren't removing the wheel bearings you don't even need the socket. I had planned to just reuse the autos... until they came apart in pieces when I removed them to repack my wheel bearings. BUT, if you are swapping to manuals you will not reuse the 2 1/2" spindle nut. You will use the 4 prong socket that fits the spindle nut that comes with the Warn conversion kit.

Here's the tip: You can remove the old 2 1/2" spindle nut with a small punch lightly tapping the holes in the nut with a hammer counter-clockwise to loosen. That will save you some money. The other tip is about removing the locking ring from the hub housing so you can slide the auto hub body out. Instead of driving yourself crazy trying to pull it out with a pick... measure the distance from the outer edge of the hub housing to the ring. Mark the distance on the outside of the hub housing. Drill a small hole in the housing. Now you can stick an awl or something small into the hole pushing the ring out so you can get behind it. When you are finished, clean the area around the hole and put a dab of silicon over the hole. This method might save you some frustration.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 01:19 PM
Mud in my Veins

2 cents (Warn Hubs)

Drilling a hole and trying to get silicone to stick (with all the grease) sounds kinda iffy. The air pressure in a hub can change suddenly and dramatically when water is splashed on it, and would probably be enough to blow out or suck in the silicone.

After fighting with a pick the first time, I put a very subtle bend in each end of each ring on my truck - not enough to cause it to interfere with the cap - so that I could EASILY slip a pick or small screwdriver under it anytime since then. It works really well (after the initial exercise) and poses no chance of letting mud in or grease out. JMTCW

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 02:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 2 cents (Warn Hubs)

I didn't have any problems. I cleaned around outside of the hole with mineral spirits and I put the silicon on the outside of the hub. The lock ring actually covers the hole and the silicon seals it. I should mention I was talking about a really small hole... nothing larger than 1/16" dia. I'd be willing to bet money that it's a stronger seal than the grease/dust seals for the wheel bearings. I thought I'd put the idea out there as an option. Let me tell you, after 30 minutes of trying to get that damn ring out with friggin picks, I was looking for options.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 08:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have pulled apart my hubs 4 times since july. Ive gotten good at it too. I just grab a old hanger, cut two 6-10in lengths, curl one end for a hand hold and smash the other end between two hammers. This allows a nice pick and also is helpful for aligning or removing that damn lock ring between the two spindle nuts. It took me only 2.5 hrs to replace my busted u-joint, and run to the yard to pull out a new slipjoint and outer shaft. "The Juice" is back on the road!!!!

Dont like it? LICK ME!!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 01:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

---Hey Thump,
What exactly comes in the Warn conversion kit? Since I grenaded the auto-locks in my '95 over the weekend I picked up a set of Warn premiums today, and the guy at 4WPW said I would need two spindle nut kits. While looking at the instructions, I noticed that it stated that "if removing an automatic hublock that uses 3 bolts to retain the chrome cover, a conversion kit (p/n 32720) will be needed." Is the conversion kit just these spindle nut kits, or is there something else I will need?

MILDOT

NISSAN IFS SUCKS
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 08:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You need the conversion kit when going from 3 screw cover to 5. The kit has 4 spindle nuts and 2 washers.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 11:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

-mildot-

Yeah, 32720 is the conversion kit you need. It comes with four spindle nuts and two washers with holes in them. Two of the nuts have a pin that sticks out. You use the nut with the pin to replace the original spindle nut. Make sure the pin is facing outward. The washer with the holes goes on next. Make sure you align the pin into one of the holes. You may need to flip the washer over or move the nut slightly. Then the nut with no pin goes on to lock everything in place. That's it. Make sure you install the snap ring in the groove on the tip of the splined axle shaft after you install the manual hub body. This groove isn't used with the auto hub system. You may need to use a flat head screwdriver in the groove to pry the shaft forward so the snap ring fits down in the groove.

The Warn instructions aren't very clear. You will actually not reuse the washers, C-clip, and lock pin when you install the manuals. If you try to install them the hub won't fully seat and you won't be able to get the snap ring on. You should also have some play back and forth in the hub after the snap ring is in place. The instructions say this but are a little vague.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 01:12 PM

To get the lock ring out I have always used an old feeler gauge. use one of the thicker pieces but one that is still flexible. Just slip it under the ring and presto! It took me years of fighting with a pick to come up with the idea but it works good for me. Also use a gauge strip that is curved on one end it works better than strait cut.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 02:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

OR just stop at Wal*Mart and pick up a 4-pack set of pick type tools for $5.00. These tools look like dentist tools with each of them having a different angle. You can find them in the hardware section. Definitely worth the investment. Plus, you won't have to worry about drilling any holes.

K-9
1996 Bronco XLT
4" Superlift & 2" body lift
35" General Grabber MT's on 15x10 Daytonas
Ex-Jeeper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode