No 4WD (and noise !) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 09:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

No 4WD (and noise !)

96 big 8 and auto hubs. Bronco owner since '80

Over the last couple of days I've noticed some banging in the front end when in 4WD. When I take the truck out of 4WD there is a ratcheting sound coming from the front end. The ratcheting goes away if I back up. This morning while driving to work in the snow I was fishtailing as it seems my 4WD doesn't work.

What's up ? bad hub ? Should I replace them with manuals or what ? I'm not too bad with a wrench but it's been awhile since I crawled around under a car.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 10:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: No 4WD (and noise !)

I have a similar prob, but mine is a broken u-joint. Hope for you that it is a hub!

Dont like it? LICK ME!!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 10:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

One or both of your auto hubs has gone bad. They are not the best design. I just swapped out the autos on my '96 with Warn premium hubs. I ordered mine from 4wheel Parts:
http://www.4wheelparts.com/

WAR20990 for $79.95 (hubs)
WAR32720 for $39.95 (conversion kit)

The conversion kit swaps out the spindle nut with one designed to lock without the slip pin that the auto hub system uses. I checked the dealer and the cost for one auto hub body is $150. I would recommend going with manuals. They are reliable and you know for sure if they are locked or unlocked. You need a 2 1/2" spindle nut socket to get the old nut off. I got one at NAPA for $40 <yikes!> and you need the standard 4 prong spindle nut socket. I got one at Autozone for about $15. If you need any help email me. The Warn instructions are a little confusing. There is also an easy trick to get the first locking ring out to remove the auto hub. Good luck!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 11:29 AM
Mud in my Veins

Here, here. Bad auto hubs. I got a pair of chrome MileMarkers with black plastic knobs from HiLo/O'Reilly Auto Parts for $60 and they seem to work great. I wasn't aware that a conversion kit was necessary to go from auto to manual (mine was always manual).

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 12:58 PM

Manual hubs are the way to go. The auto design is not very good. The swap is fairly simple. Although Thump got his hubs from 4 wheel parts and may not have had a problem, I would advise against going there. I have had tremendous trouble with these people and would recommend going elsewhere. In a nutshell I ordered 1300 dollars worth of stuff from them in one order. It took them 2 months to ship it to me, I never got my complete order and what I did get was defective. They then told me to talk to the manufacturer. Any good auto parts store should be able to hunt them down for you. Goodluck

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 04:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've heard bad things about 4 wheel parts, but I thought I'd give them a try anyway. I didn't have any trouble with my order.

What other stores would you recommend?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 07:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

macromotive. no handling fees and good service

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 09:38 AM

I just replaced my outo hubs with warn premium got them from summit racing for 83.99 and conversion kit for 32.99 free shipping and handling. Had a bit of a problem as most people had with the f**Cking snap rings. but no more clicking noise an I know when I'm in 4wd.

90 Bronco w/302 auto. soon to be 351W with a little goodies 31-10.5-15 , 3.55 gears looking for mud!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2000, 01:22 AM

I have had some good luck with places like summit or jegs. As far as driveline parts go there is a really good local place for 4X4's where i live so I go to them. Jeff's bronco graveyard, James Duff, Performax, Randy's ring and pinion, and evan JC Whitney are better than 4 wheel parts. I don't like to be negative but those people really screwed me and didn't care. So I promised I would spread the word. I don't want anyone else getting dicked either. I've posted this before and it seems to be agreed upon. Oh well its water under the bridge, so I'll shut up now!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode