Steering Wheel ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 12:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Steering Wheel ?

I have a 1991 Bronco XLT and was considering replacing the stock steering wheel. I wanted to check and see if anyone else has done this and what troubles they ran into during and/or after the install. My current steering wheel does not have an airbag but does have cruise control on it. I would not be interested in keeping the cruise control as I do not see it ever getting any use.
Any info would be apprecited.
Thanks!

Check out my 1991 Ford Bronco XLT -
http://www.superford.org/cgi-bin/sf....&vr2=1&ID=1139
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 12:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Steering Wheel ?

Here is the deal. When you buy the new steering wheel, you need to buy an install kit. They are vehicle specific and only run about $20. Just remove the old wheel install the kit and new wheel. I just taped up the ends of the cruise control wires and shoved back down in the wheel. You will see what I mean when get the new wheel on.

If it ain't broke, I can probably still fix it.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 03:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would like to do the same thing but I want to KEEP my cruise control, (although I don't use it often). Is there any NICE aftermarket steering wheels that have cruise control buttons added?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 04:46 PM
Mud in my Veins

Your 92 should have an airbag, which means you shouldn't change the wheel, even if you can find one that will fit. I doubt you can, though, because of the size and shape of the base of the wheel where it meets the column.

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 05:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Nope, the only 92's that came w/ an airbag are the Eddie Bauer editions. In 93 airbags were standard on all models.
So back to my original question...can I get a decent aftermarket steering wheel w/ cruise control buttons?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 10:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Grant stearing wheels have an accesory for your cruise. It attaches to the back of the wheel and hooks up to your existing wires. I looked into this for my 88 'stang, and found out you can get the stuff through Checker just as easy as any other part store or on-line.. Also for those of you with airbags, Grant does make a steering wheel cover that goes around the hand grip and doesnt affect the airbag at all. Got one on my wifes ranger, it just snaps and doubleside sticky tapes onto the wheel. I dont even know its there except for the carbon fiber look. Good luck

Dont like it? LICK ME!!!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 06:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

this company makes some nice products for broncos and has custom steering wheels with the cruise control buttons still functioning. i am thinking about ordering the cage for mine. here is the address, sorry i dont know how to make it clickable!

http://srd.yahoo.com/srst/384552/off...rld.com/KBARS/

89 Bronco XLT, V8 302, superwinch hubs, 31x10.50 trailhandlers, and many more mods to come!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode