93 starting funny...PART 2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2000, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

93 starting funny...PART 2

Well, I was wrong. It wasn't bad gas (no jokes because the problem is back again. I figured out that if I floor it and crank it will start, but if I just crank with the pedal sitting on the idle screw, it won't even act like it's about to kick in, like it used to. So what I seem to have here is a degrading condition, whatever it is. The distributor shaft feels loose to me, so I haven't ruled it out, although a new one probably costs a chunk of change.

What does this sound like? Will only start when floored? I'll also note that when I floor it and it starts, it sounds like it's missing for a second or two then runs as normal, unless I let it drop to below about 1200 RPM then it sputters and dies. BUT, to add to the mystery, it only does this sometimes. I've gone two weeks without it doing it and today boom, it's back. Died as I took off and took me 5 minutes to get it going good again...HELP thanks and i'll take any input

It's a Jeep thing? My Bronco thing will run over your little Jeep thing.

Muddybronco
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2000, 02:46 AM
Mud in my Veins

Re: 93 starting funny...PART 2

If this were my truck, I wouldn't describe this as funny.

Have you pulled the codes? There HAVE to be some set by now. They'll at least point you in a starting direction. TPS, HEGO, IAC, TFI, MAP, vacuum leak, fuel pressure regulator,... Pour some good fuel system cleaner in - maybe Chevron or Castrol? Anyone out there have a favorite?

I was amazed to find a NEW distributor for a 76 Dodge 380? (I can't remember now, but it was a BIG V8) Warlock was only $25 at Advance. Check on yours = you may be surprised.

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2000, 08:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

This is strange but my 85 did the exact same thing. Its a carbed 351. I took off the electric choke and the choke components and cleaned them extensivly, put them back on, and the truck runs great. Does it do it all the time, or just in really cold weather? I ask because mine would only do it in cold weather. Pretty much pointing out choke problems right there. As far as fuel system cleaner, the only thing I can say it I wouldnt use anything but K44 or 44K (one of those is right) It is about 20 a can, but its the best stuff there is. If you going to pay more for fuel cleaner, use this stuff. If not, dont bother wasting money of the other expensive brands because they are all the same. Also, another pretty good one it Marvel Mystery Oil. I love that stuff, put it in your oil & gas. When I change oil I put a quart of MMO in place of a quart of regular oil. It really keeps the engine clean.

Sean Heberly
'85 351 5.8L XLT Bronco
'86 Pontiac Fiero GT 4.9L NorthStar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2000, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Well, it's always started when I first crank it up in the morning. Goes through high idle fine. Then whenever it does it I'm usually putting it into drive after backing up and it dies and I go into a crankathon. But I don't think it's ever done it after it's been driven for 20-30 minutes, so it seems to be a cold problem. Yeah, I check on distributors at AutoZone and it's 55 with a steel gear and 95 with a cast iron, so not too bad, if that's the problem. How does this fuel injection system handle fuel delivery like the choke does on a carb?

Muddybronco
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2000, 03:48 PM
Mud in my Veins

The things that happen when the engine is running cold are: 1)the PCM detects that it's cold by the ECT (carb by choke spring); 2)it ignores the HEGO; 3)it richens the fuel mix by opening the injectors for longer pulses (carb by closing choke plates); 4)the smog pump air is sent to the crossover pipe to be introduced in the exhaust manifold; 5)the IAC opens to raise the idle (carb by fast idle cam); 6)the EGR is disabled.

When you go from backing up to taking off forward: 1)if you have the E4OD, the BOO signals the PCM and the PCM adjusts the gear selector and torque converter; 2)the MAP detects the load on the engine; 3)the IAC closes as the throttle comes off idle; 4)the TPS sends the new demand signal; 5)the fuel pressure regulator closes, increasing the pressure; 6)the injectors open even longer to provide acceleration; 7)the timing is advanced for power.

Read the codes from the PCM and consider each of the sensors and systems that are active, and you should be able to identify the fault.

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2000, 04:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just a thought. Have you cleaned the throttle body? It may be dirty and causing the the engine to die at idle. Maybe even replace the PCV Valve. I would check these items first before I replaced the distributor and started checking sensors. A $2.99 can of Throttle body or Carb Cleaner will probably work fine. Also check for cracked or broken vacuum lines, repair or replace if found. All of these will contribute to your problems. Hope this helps.
If not, start checking the sensors. Good Luck.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2000, 05:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

One other thing I might add is, Maybe the Throttle Position Sensor. I have a '90 Lincoln TownCar that acted up about the same way, new TPS and it ran like new. Mine was about $80 at NAPA.

Sean Heberly
'85 Bronco 5.8L 4-V XLT: 266K still strong. Winter Truck now.
'86 Pontiac Fiero GT: 4.9L Caddy NorthStar Engine, 11.6 QM @ 107.1 MPH, Poly Susp, KONI's all around, 2 1/2" drop.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2000, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

I cleaned the throttle body somewhat today, it had a nasty buildup on it. I looked inside the upper intake manifold too and it is just caked in oil deposits. Is that a problem? I found a sticker on the throttle body that said "do not clean inside throttle body or adjust idle screw in CCW direction" but I had to clean it, it was nasty. The air byass seems pretty nasty too, would that have any part of this process? I tested the TPS and it's resistance was within limits...I've pulled codes before but only engine off...would an engine on test be better?

Muddybronco
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2000, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

I may have figured it out. Pulled codes again and got a 556 - Fuel Pump primary circuit failure in the stored codes. Somebody mentioned fuel pump in the last thread and that seems reasonable. Does this just mean I need a new pump or some other problem? Check online at autozone and it's 120 bucks...damn. Oh well, if the bronco will run again it will be a sunny day.

Muddybronco
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2000, 12:35 AM
Mud in my Veins

You should pull ALL the codes. Why anything less?? The filth in the TB and intake is probably coming from the breather filter. When your rings start to go, the blowby into the crankcase gets to be more than the PCV can handle, and it flows backward out of the breather. It carries some gas and oil with the blowby which gets deposited all over the inside of the intake system. This fouls the ACT, the IAC, the HEGO, and the MAP. As to the fuel pump, check the ground screw on the left of the core support, and test the voltage from the frame to the black wire, and frame to the orange wire at the fuel sending unit. It should be almost 0. Also, swap the PCM and fuel pump relays with other relays to see if they're going bad. AutoZone sucks gay colostomy bags.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode