Anyone install a Catback system on their rig? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 12:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Anyone install a Catback system on their rig?

I was looking thru the JC Whitney catalog and I see quite a few ads claiming that a "Catback" exhaust system will increase horsepower by 7% or so. Is this true? Isn't there still the initial restriction going thru the exhaust manifold? So why would 3" pipes help if the flow is still being ristricted? Is it worth the 150-200 bucks to put one on my Bronco? It's mostly a city driver but I do take it 4 x'n in the sand dunes quite often during ths summer. How easy is it to install one of these systems?

Thanks for any advice...

92 Bronco XLT w/ measly 302...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 01:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Anyone install a Catback system on their rig?

There's more to it than just a larger diameter pipe. "Cat-back" would also include the muffler. All stock OEM mufflers are designed to run quiet, which restricts exhaust flow. A cat-back system includes a high flow muffler and usually a larger diameter tailpipe. It can free up a little bit of power, but I don't know how noticable it will be. I am about to install a Flowmaster 50 series on my '96 with a 351. I'm just replacing the muffler and reusing the tailpipe. It cost me $80 from Summit. I'm more interested in a deeper exhaust sound, if I get a performance gain from it, that's a welcome bonus.

To answer your questions, a $200 system like Gibson or something similiar will probably bolt up just like the stock system did and you shouldn't need any modifications to the pipe. For that price it should be an easy bolt-on install. Whether you should buy it or not is up to you. Look at your old tailpipe, if it is still in good shape and not rusted out, you may want to save some money and just buy a high flow muffler like I did. Exhaust work isn't fun to me, but it's not very difficult. Good luck!

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 01:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks, Is there any emissions complications with installing one of these?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 01:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Nope. As long as you keep the cat installed properly you're good to go.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 02:26 PM
broncoman

Ive ordered a force 2 cat-back system for my bronco from Flowmaster this week but I wont get until March of next year. It comes with a series 50 Delta flow muffler so hopefully it wont be too obnoxious. Ill post next year when I have it on.
Anyone else try this or something diff? I looked at borla but it was over twice the price but S.S. Flowmaster supposed to be pretty tough and well built so I'll stick it out and try it.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 06:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i installed a flowmaster force 2 on my dads 88 bronco 351,c6, 3.08 it noticibly increased power and accelleration. the only thing is that the muffler is a "50 series suv", which is 5" thick instead of the normal 3 or 4 inch. i have a regular 50 series that is much louder. the force 2 kit isn't noticeably louder, but power is much improved. id reccomend one to any one. also, the tailpipe is nice beacuse it is a single one with a slant cut on the end, and it is positioned very close to the bottom of the panel behind the wheel well, like a coupe inches instead of a foot, so it looks much cleaner

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 12:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a 95 with the 351 engine. I installed a Gibson 3 inch catback system along with a K&N air filter and noticed better mid range and top end power. My MPG improved 2 to 3 miles to the gallon on the highway. After 70000 miles the Gibson muffler started to break up and I replaced it with a Floemaster. The Flowmaster is a little louder and gives great performane. I recommend calling Flowmaster and talk to the tech people to make sure you get the right set up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode