? for Steve83 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2000, 09:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

? for Steve83

I got a question for you steve.
Your so smart!!!
honestly I really appreciate your help and im sure the others would agree with me. My question today is, Is there anyway to get more heat out of the heater core. Maybe an aftermarket that would provide more air passage to supply more heat in the ridin area. Its sufficient for average cold temps, but, this week we are ridin some balls cold temps and I want to have a happy truck to ride in. My old truck (chev) pumped out heat that you couldnt put your hand in front of the vent for too long cuz it would melt your finners. But I figured thats cuz chevs always had so much air leaks that a full blownin heater was a must. I want that heat in "The Juice" thanks again.

Dont like it? LICK ME!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 09:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: ? for Steve83

Your radiator has a high heat rejection capacity, and so removes much of the needed waste heat for the heater core. I took some duct tape and closed off most of my grille openings, and am getting better cabin heat now. With the near zero temps, I'm going to block off the entire grille. You can also try a higher temperature rated thermostat, like a 195, but the duct tape is a hell of alot easier.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 01:39 PM
Mud in my Veins

Unless you want to redesign it, or have one fabbed in aluminum, you're stuck with it. BUT : You may not be getting all it has to give. Before I flipped mine, I had noticed that it didn't blow very hot. While I was rebuilding it, I discovered that much of the evaporator core was blocked by leaves and the heater core had caught some, too. (Totally tearing your truck apart can be very informative!) I realized that the leaves were coming through the slots in the wiper valance, which is why later trucks have small holes. When choosing junkyard body parts, I made sure to get the "holey" valance. I cleaned both cores with a water hose (pressure washers will bend the vanes) and emptied all the leaves from the ducts. There is a rubber drain valve (full of leaves) at each front corner of the firewall, a galvanized plate with 4 screws just below the dash behind each kick panel (passenger side full of leaves), the evaporator core can be checked thru the resistor plate hole and dislodged (without opening the system) enough to hose it out, and the heater core is easy to remove after removing the glove box (not the door). I also noticed that my blower motor was sluggish, so I replaced it. (Along that line, check the connectors on the back of the A/C control to see if they're overheating and melting.) After all this, my heater will scald anyone in the passenger seat, and is plenty for me.

The point is that your truck is old, and how often have you done ANY maintenance on the heater?? It's not too small, it just needs some cleaning.

The first thing to check since you're in a hurry is the evaporator core. You can see a little and feel a lot thru the resistor hole between the blower motor and the accumulator. If it's clogged, pull the cover from the other side of the air box in the engine compartment (about 5 screws there and 1 nut at the bottom of the firewall inside the passenger footwell), and hose backward thru it until you can see thru every hole.

To see what I did to mine, go to http://www.webphotos.com/listPicture...w&album_id=217 . If it challenges you for a password, ignore that, look down to the left and put "steve" in the "E-mail/Nickname" field and select "My 83 Bronco".

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 04:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

One word of advice what RON-BO says does work well I've used it myself but if the temperature does turn warmer on you make sure that you remove the tape or what ever you may use to restrict the air flow especially if you run an automatic tranny because thats the same air that cools the motor and tranny and you can burn a tranny up real quick if it runs to hot.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode