'84 to '94 exchange.... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2000, 06:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

\'84 to \'94 exchange....

Hey fellas,
I have an 84 Bronc that I have sunk my money into mechanically, and have decided, instead of spending a bunch of money updating it to look like a newer Bronc, I'd be better off buying a newer Bronc and exchanging the good parts off of my older Bronc to the newer one...
The only parts I'd be exchanging would be the engine, lift, tires, and 9". As far as the 9" goes, what probs would I encounter, and what would I have to remedy?
-mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2000, 07:33 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: \'84 to \'94 exchange....

I've done the opposite with my 83 going to 95 engine, and I can tell you for sure that you "can't" do it. (Meaning MUCH more difficult and expensive than the reverse.) The 94 speedometer and 4WABS runs off the VSS in the 87-97 8.8" rear end. There is no way to put that VSS in a 9". (I've asked Currie.) The wiring harness and ignition switch are not compatible with the 84 engine wiring harness. The 94 voltmeter is not compatible with the 84 alternator, and the 94 alternator won't fit the 84 bracket. If your 84 isn't EFI, the 94 fuel sending unit won't work with a carb, and I think there's a difference in the 84 and 94 EFI fuel line couplings so they won't hook up. If your 84 has mechanical clutch linkage, you'll have to change transmissions, too. But the biggest problem you'll have is finding a good 93-96 Bronco with a bad engine that will cost less than just a front clip (which is almost all you'd need to make your 84 look like a later model).

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 03:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Steve,
Actually, I was planning on converting my 84 to a fuel injected engine, and then I began realizing what I needed beyond that from a newer Bronco....The complete interior, including dash and guages...(my '84 was not that taken care of)...new fuel tank with a return line, upper/lower intake manifold, computer, etc, etc, etc, and a front clip [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img], quarter panels, and many months of labor....
okay....as far as the nine inch goes, I plan on swapping a 9" in the rear...if the 4wabs (whats that?) and the vss can't be used, what would some options be? I plan on buying a later Bronc with an aod, because I plan on getting an Art Carr aod, and I don't want to have to change too much linkage, so the speedo cable should match up to the tranny.
The ignition that I am running is a MSD 6al (complete with coil, billet distributor, ect....so the ignition switch isn't of major concern)
With the alternator bracket thing.....would I have to custom build one? Any known solutions?
-mike
ps....why you no like auto zone?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 02:02 PM
Mud in my Veins

You can't put a 92-97 dash or instrument cluster in an 80-91 body, but I put a 92-97 speedometer (PSOM) and 87-91 fuel and volt meters in my 80-86 cluster. The meters were the only things necessary to put a COMPLETE 95 engine (not just EFI parts) into my truck - I did the speedo for other reasons... As to the speedo cable, 92-97 trucks don't have one: the PSOM (Programmable Speedometer/Odometer Module) is electronic; it has only one moving part: the needle. (That's why I wanted it - my speedo and cable and drive gears were shot and they weren't calibrated to my tire size anyway.) So if you put a 9" in a 92-97, you will have NO SPEEDOMETER. If you put one in an 87-97, you will have NO ABS (Anti-lock Brake System), and no 4-Wheel ABS on 93-96 Broncos. You have to have the 87-97 VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) in the rear end to run those systems... and the cruise, and the E4OD, and the engine computer (EEC-IV PCM) reads it for some reason, too. (The 87-92 t-case VSS only operates the cruise.) The aftermarket ignition system will not help the fact that the 92-97 ignition switch is electrically different from the 80-91 and so the 92-97 won't work with an 80-91 engine wiring harness - you'd have to design some custom circuits. (Going the other way is much easier - I've done it.) The alternator is the least of the problems.

I spent a total of $1300 for a late, low-mileage 4.9L (the V8's were only $200 more) and spent less than a week installing it. You could get a complete front clip (with core support) for about as much and have it painted for a few hundred. Total: about $3K and 3 weeks. A good used Bronco, even one with a blow engine, will be double or triple that (including the time to track one down, inspect it, and make a deal).

I had an AutoZone u-joint shatter while I was driving normally on-road, and a tie rod end just drop loose, also while driving normally on-road. Neither was more than a few months old and, fortunately, both were at low speeds. After that, I removed EVERY AZ part from my truck and made them give me FULL refunds on everything (including things like wheel seals) and they paid me $200 not to sue them for nearly killing me twice.

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 09:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Steve,
I do appreciate yer advice man...I am going to do some research on the speedo thing....there has to be a way that I can run a 9" in the rear and have a speedo....I'll let you know what I come up with in the future...on the abs, I will be buying baer disks for the rear, and there again, has to be some way that I can take advantage of the factory abs system on it, and on the alternator I did forget to inform you that I am running a heavily modified 351 (that I cannot part with cuz of $'s invested)...does that change the alternator bracket scenario? (engine wise)
thanx again....
-mike

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 10:40 PM
Mud in my Veins

I've been trying to convey that I think it will be a lot cheaper, easier, and quicker to change the front clip (if you've decided you HAVE to have that look) now and put in a late-model EFI when this engine goes out. The ONLY way to get a speedo in a 92-97 cluster with a 9" rear end is to modify the late-model t-case and retrofit it with a speedo gear for a mechanical speedo - that is, if a mech. speedo would fit in the 92-97 cluster. I'm confident there is NO WAY to run a PSOM with a 9" since Currie can't do it (and they have designed and produced their own 3rd members). The upshod is: change the truck cosmetically now and mechanically later. You'll save money, time, and effort. And you'll always have the alternator problem - only a well fabricated custom bracket and a V-pulley (that fits an alternator made for a serpentine belt) will work.

(BTW, it doesn't take any extra effort to put disks on an ABS rear, and most magazine articles admit that there is not a noticeable difference in the strength of the 8.8" and the 9".)

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode