'85 5.8 Chuggin away in cold weather - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2000, 08:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

\'85 5.8 Chuggin away in cold weather

I recently have been working on the choke in my 85 5.8 4bbl Bronco. I didnt remove the carb, just the choke system and cleaned it up and readjusted it. The truck has been running good for the last couple days with the exception of the warm idle setting, but recently, it is running like crap again. I went out to start it today (About 5 degrees out side) and ran the battery down trying. I jumped it and finally got it running. Driving down the road it runs like crap, at low speeds it chugges, (cant describe it any better) but it sounds like a train just starting to get going, like a young child would describe it, get what Im saying? It seems to be choking correctly, but I dont know whats wrong with it? I know I should rebuild the carb, but this is the only car I have to drive right now, so thats not an option at this time. Could this be a timing problem??? Could someone describe how the electric assisted choke system works to me? How do you know how to adjust the coil/spring on the electric assisted choke, maybe I didnt do it right?!? I am again at a loss. I just put new plugs and wires and cap, rotor, new PCV valve, fuel filter, air and CV filter. Also, The air control valve is broken, but I dont use the smog pump, does this need to be replaced? If not, what should I do, just remove all the hoses to and from it? Can I plug the pipe on the bottem going to the exhaust system? If so, how should I do it? Does not using the smog pump affect performance and fuel econ? Thanks guys!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2000, 09:31 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: \'85 5.8 Chuggin away in cold weather

It's more complex than it may look. In addition to the electric ASSIST, it's operated by heat conducted thru the carb, vaccuum, and exhaust. It's also integrated into the throttle linkage. A rebuild kit includes thorough directions on how to adjust the entire thing, and only takes a few hours to do, so that's what you ought to do. Just read thru it a few times and make sure you have the tools and plenty of carb cleaner before you start. If the problem surfaced recently and you didn't reset the timing, it's probably not related to timing. The smog pump wouldn't cause this, but you should still fix it eventually. In the meantime, plug the pipe FROM the exhaust, and if you remove any vaccuum lines, plug them. The smog system only affects emissions, but that's important.

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode