what do i got ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2000, 09:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

what do i got ?

hi fellas, i got my chance to buy a 1978 bronco, the current owner doesn't know anything about it, so i'll ask ya'll, it doesn't have a motor but it's got manual tranny (don't know the speed), transfer case and front coil springs. so what kind of tranny, transfer case and type of differentials will i be getting ? i know this is very vague info but thanks for the help. i am really interested in what type differentials and ratios, thanks again

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2000, 11:28 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: what do i got ?

You're right; that's vague! The rear end is almost certainly the venerable Ford 9-inch. The front is probably a solid Dana 44. The ratios should be stamped into a thin metal tag held on by a diff. bolt on each axle. NP435 4-speed transmissions were common in that era, but I'm not sure about the T-case.

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2000, 06:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks, i believe i have figured alot of it out by seaching the archives, are the axles pretty strong ? is the front d44 brakes any good, any pitfalls or drawbacks to these axles? thanks mick

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2000, 08:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The brakes are okay...you can cross drill em to help them cool more efficiently....9" is good, the 44 questionable, since u have the straight axle, a straight axle conversion can be had more easily compared to us ttb guyz. A 60 conversion could be had for you in a matter of hrs, if the gears are the same, and I can't hold back my jealosy for the ease of installation.
-mike

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 04:15 PM

the '78 came with only a 351M or 400M from the factory. the block is the same(bell housing bolt pattern, accessories, etc. If the trans is original it's a 4 speed. if you have manual locking hubs, then the t/case is a new process 205. The front axle is a dana 44, the rear is a ford 9 inch. the most common factory gear ratio was 3.50. the 429/460 big block has the same bell housing bolt pattern and they make aftermarket motor mount conversion kits for an easy swap. my '78 has a 460.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode