Tsfr case problem - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2000, 09:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tsfr case problem

I have a sound i believe is comming from my tsfr case. It sounds as if gears are clacking together. It only does this when Im not accelerating and not decelerating, but just at a cruise. And it seems to be getting worse. Im getting frustrated with this truck. Thinking about gettin somthin else. But what do I expect for a 20 year old truck and only investing 2000 bucks. OH WELL
Also how do I tell if I have a NP203 or NP205 tsfr case. The "JUICE" is a 1980 bronc originaly with a 302 9" rear and D44 front ttb. My dad has a NP205 out of a chevy that he said I could steal parts off of if it is a 205.
Dont like it? LICK ME!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2000, 11:37 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Tsfr case problem

I'm reasonably confident that all 80-86 Broncos used NP208F t-cases. There is a 1-1/2" round aluminum tag held on the back of the case by a center screw that identifies the model, serial number, and low-range ratio. The sound you describe sounds more like the pinion nut (inside the rear U-joint) being loose and allowing the pinon gear to strike the diff carrier or shake in its bearings when there is little load on it. It should be tightened to about 175 lb-ft, but the proper setting is measured in inch-pounds of preload drag.

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2000, 08:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

couldnt be the pinion nut, Ive replaced the thirdmember 3 times in the last year and the sound has been consistant. The rear end I have now im concerned that there is too much slop in it. Its a ford oem posi. I do know that the posi isnt working though. must need new clutches?? Anyway the sound is very close to the sound my little bros chev pickup makes, and dad says its the tsfr case. But they are die hard chevy fans and I only drive one. What would they know about FORDS anyway. Its a very frustating sound and problem that no ford fans know anything about. Im not ready to put a new tsfr case in. I was told maybe to put fine sawdust in the transfer case and that would soften the banging of gears. Who knows, maybe im just in need of a miracle. Ha Ha, maybe santa will bring me a new twuk.

Dont like it? LICK ME!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2000, 10:17 PM
Mud in my Veins

Jack up the rear end and have an assistant (one of those chevy drivers) drive it up and see if it will make the noise. You can crawl around under there and figure out where it's coming from, if it'll do it without a load.

It's a Jeep thing? My Bronco thing will run over your little Jeep thing.

Muddybronco
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2000, 10:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

HEY STEVE,
I crawled under and it is a NP208F case, there is slop in the case and the new rear end. I think the rear end slop is just the way its supposed to be (a little movement im told is ok, that is the way it way set up). But I dont think the tsfr case should have any play. Can I tighten this up or do I need to have a pro do it. I have some basic ideas of how to do stuff, but I need guidance the first time. Any help is GREATLY APPRECIATED. Thanks BILL

Dont like it? LICK ME!!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 03:16 PM
Mud in my Veins

There's A LOT of slop in my t-case. I've pulled a 13-yard dump truck (the big ones), a 30' steel construction dumpster, stumps, travel trailers, and a flatbed trailer with tractor on it (10Klb total). It's a little annoying sometimes, but I haven't noticed it causing any problems. I don't think there is any way to tighten it except by rebuilding the case and replacing some gears/shafts. As to the rear end, the correct backlash is measured in thousandths of an inch - nuff sed.

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode