Ticking noise - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 07:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ticking noise

I am hearing a ticking noise, i thought it was a leaky header, so i changed the gasket 5 or six times and the problem still persists. It sounds like a slight plug wire arcing out, and if i floor it, it gets louder. It isn't equal to rpms, or vehicle speed. it is most noticable under heavy acceleration, and im thinking it is something with the front of the engine, possibly the alternator or air pump. I know i need rocker arms badly, does this have anything to do with it?? thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2000, 11:30 AM
broncoman

Re: Ticking noise

Its not pinging is it? Sort of sounds like ticking. I know I get it sometimes on my 95 but only certain times. Seems to depend on the weather and perhaps certain brands of gas. I sometimes turn off the truck then start it again and then the ping goes away. Very strange.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2000, 12:30 PM
Mud in my Veins

That sorta sounds like what my 93 does. At low RPM's under load I can hear it best because the engine isn't screaming, but I'm sure it does it all the time. It comes from the right side of my engine compartment and is very apparent when I drive beside a wall and I have my windows down. I think it has something to do with the air pump or that other smog equipment in there. Let me know if you figure it out.

It's a Jeep thing? My Bronco thing will run over your little Jeep thing.

Muddybronco
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2000, 12:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't know if this is what you're talkin' about, but my '95 did that for a while. It was kinda tinny, usually did it under acceleration or turning hard left at speed. Believe it or not, it was u joints. Again, I'm not sure if it's relevant, but you might wanna check that out.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 06:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

yeah, i thought is was the air pump too, it is such a slight tick, like a plug arcing out, and if you womp on the gas it gets worse, and now its starting on the drivers side too. what year and engine do you have muddybronco?? i know im in need of rockers, and im wondering if it is maybe a noise form those that is more noicable with headers if you have them, but thanks. it pisses me off and sounds trashy so its somethin i want to fix
check out this rig
http://www.superford.org/cgi-bin/sf....&vr2=1&ID=1045

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 12:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

My bronco has just started the same thing. Sounds kinda like a ticking/rattling noise but it is coming from in front of the engine, not the engine itself. Almost like it is coming from the fan or radiator area. maybe even as far back as the water pump, alternator, etc. 1982 bronco with a 351w that was just rebuilt(less than 500mi)and is out of an 84 F150. No smog pump or any of that air pollution crap just kinda bypassed it all....is that legal. lol. Not sure what it is. but it's definately not coming from the engine. Any help would be appreciated. I haven't had a chance to look at it too cold in pittsburgh.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 04:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Be sure to check out all of your exhaust gaskets, a leak between the manifold and the heads may give you this kind of sound. Also check out the connection between the manifold and the down pipe, there is a donout shaped gasket that can break here as well. The best way to check out the exhaust gaskets is to disable the fan/fan clutch so you are not pushing a lot of air from it and carefully feel around the gaskets, if it is bad enough it should be easy to find.

Best Regards
Dave Couch

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 01:44 AM
mudmonger

smoothcharlene: read this

If you have a clutch style fan assembly you are probably hearing the bearings going bad in the clutch on the fan itself or possibly the water pump. Try to turn the fan. If you find high resistance or it won't turn at all the clutch is gone-if it is so equipped. Laters.

NUFF SAID
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 12:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: smoothcharlene: read this

You have to be careful about testing this way. Almost all viscous fan clutches are engaged when cold, since the fluid seeps back into the chamber after the engine has been off for awhile (hours). They need to be pumped out first. The best thing to do, is to start the truck, and run it for a minute or two (literally). This will ensure that the fluid chamber is emptied. Shut the vehicle off and try spinning the fan. If you have alot of resistance,the possibility of mechanical binding is there. On the other hand, if the clutch turns easily before the vehicle is started, you might have lost the viscous properties of the clutch fluid, and the clutch is therefore shot as well. If either of these scenarios happen, try testing the thing every morning for a few days, just to see if the problem is repeatable.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2000, 11:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am not sure how it is on your model, but on my 85 I get that noise under load, but not crusing or idle. It is the Air Control Valve. You might want to check that if you have one. Mine is busted completly in half, but I dont use the smog control devices anyway.

Sean Heberly
'85 351 5.8L XLT Bronco
'86 Pontiac Fiero GT 4.9L NorthStar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode