Parts swapping...84' to 79' - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2000, 08:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Parts swapping...84\' to 79\'

I have a 84 with 302 trainy all good shape, body sucks..I found a 79 cheap with a 400, good body but front
differential is shot. If it will swap which would work best swapping bigger engine to the 84 or swapping the
84 to the 79. I just don't know what will all swap and what won't. Thanks for any help!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 12:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Parts swapping...84\' to 79\'

copester...
The 400 is Ford's "oops" engine...u shouldn't f*&# with it for power...unless the 400 is in superb condition would I recommend you swap it....if u have a 351 your better of keeping it...parts are way less scarce and you can get more cu inches out of it anyway
its definetely a 9" in the rear, and you got one in the back of your 84....twin 9"s.....hmmm...but if you have a 44 in your 79, then you could prob use the one you already have (if it's the same gears...which I kinda doubt)....but a solid in front is definetely the way to go
-mike

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 11:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Assuming the 79 is fixable, sell the 84 for as much as you can get and fix up the 79. Not much will swap and what will, you don't want. The 400 is a whoops motor, but the rep is worse than reality. It can be made to run pretty good. However, the better solution is to leave the 400 alone until you find a 460. The 460 will drop right in and bolt up to any transmission a 400 is bolted to. You also may have an NP205 transfer case which you would not want to swap out. Parts are plentiful for the dana 44 and you should be able to fix it pretty easily, and for whatever you get for the 84.

Good luck, george.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 11:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You'll have to check the rearends, I've read somewhere (again don't remember where) that in either late 83, or 84 they began putting 8.8" in the rear of the bronco. I too wouldn't touch the 400 engine. If time and money permits wait and get a 460, then build it crazy sick and twisted! The 79 would probably be easier to build and has the arguably more desired solid front axle. Keep the 79 and build it to the hilt. my .01 cent. Would've given .02 cents but my bronco's got me broke!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2000, 12:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

no copester...it has a nine....if ya want a lighter wt a smallblock will can also fit the bill....my windsor is easily attaining 550 horses normally aspirated, but when you invest seven grand, I guess it should be...
-mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode