Header Installation Help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2000, 10:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Header Installation Help

I finally got my exhaust from summit (a set of flowmasters, cats and headman headers). Every exhaust shop I went to wanted around $450 to install everything or $250 if I installed the headers.
Anyway, I'm going to install the headers this Sunday. I was wondering if anybody has done this and what kind of problems they ran into. I have a 1987 Bronco with a carbed 351.
1. Will I just be able to remove the old manifolds and slide in the headers or will I need to raise the engine? Anything else you guys can think of?
2. What kind of gasket should I get? Paper, metal? I think I should get locking washers right?
3. Finally, is it safe for the engine if I drive around with only the headers installed(no pipes or mufflers). At the minimum, I will have to drive from my house to the muffler shop this way.
Thanks for your time.
Tom

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2000, 01:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Header Installation Help

Here is a little info, hope it helps. You ought to be able to slide them in,,,,you might try coming from under the truck to see if they fit..

get metal gaskets, and get the exhaust stuff in the tube, it is copper colored, I hear nothing but good things about it.

dont drive it much with the headers, it is hard on the valves, i think it causes them to get too hot.

good luck

headers on a 6 banger
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2000, 04:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have Hedmann headers on my 82 351, and installing them was simple. I had to come from under the truck on both sides, and had to disconnect the starter, but other than that it was simple. I too had to drive it straight headers to the exhaust shop, about 10 miles total.....extremely loud!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2000, 11:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Great tips guys. From what you've told me, everything should go well on Sunday (I can't wait).
Thanks again.
Tom

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2000, 08:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just figured out that Summit sent me headers with 1 1/2" primarys when I asked for 1 5/8" primarys. I was planning on installing them tomorrow unless you guys think its worth it for me to send them back to summit and get the 1 5/8".
Tom

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2000, 10:33 PM
Mud in my Veins

I've never put headers on mine but I hear it's fairly common to snap the bolts that hold the headers to the block. You might want to have a tap on hand.

It's a Jeep thing? My Bronco thing will run over your little Jeep thing.

Muddybronco
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2000, 11:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Good idea, I'm pritty good at snapping bolts. I'm even better at snapping drill bits when I'm drilling out the broken bolt. This usually gives me a chance to brush up on some profanities. Man....why is it every time I try to fix one thing, I end up breaking at least two other things....oh well.
Tom

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2000, 12:08 AM
Mud in my Veins

Probably because you f***ed it up the first time !-) hahahah JK In the future, apply anti-sieze compound to any machine-threaded fastener you put in, especially those exposed to high temp or corrosion. This will save bolts, drill bits, and time in confession.

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2000, 12:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'd definately hold out for the 1 5/8" headers. If it was a 302, 1 1/2" would be O.K. (still a little small though), but for a 5.8, I would use 1 5/8" at a minimum. Don't know if you're planning on any future engine mods., but the 1 5/8" would support further engine MUCH better as well.

MILDOT

NISSAN IFS SUCKS
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2000, 04:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

When i first ordered my headers, I asked the guy for 1 5/8" and he said no problem. They sent me 1 1/2" and now that I'm trying to exchange them, they say there' no such thing as 1 5/8" for a 351W.
Basically what I'm trying to find out is if they are lying to me now so they dont have to accept a return, or if they originaly made the mistake and there really is no 1 5/8" for the 351W.
Smoothcharlene: were the Headmans that you put on 1 5/8" or 1 1/2" primarys?
Thanks for any help.
Tom

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode