A good idea, methinks... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2000, 11:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

A good idea, methinks...

After getting the run-around from a few local mechanics, I tackled the job of replacing the 3 UV joints on the rear shaft of my '95 XLT Bronco. I was told by 2 different mechanics that the project "is a bear" and that I should let them do it for a measley $186. HA! I say, and set about it. The whole job took 45 minutes and $42. The point is that I have yet to find a site or a decent book (in Laymen's terms) that will diagnose problems and tell you which jobs to avoid and which to tackle. I know that here, all you have to do is ask and someone will likely help you out. Thing is, what if you don't have the time to wait for a response and would rather just look it up? A suggestion is for a site or archive here or anything of the sort, that would describe a problem by symptons and then explain how the person did the job. Preferrably no pros. Just reg'lar joes. Some of us are new to this and really could use the input when we don't have the time to wait for replies to posts, the money to have someone else do the job for us, or the correct tools. Again, this is just an idea that I thought of because I couldn't find any site that would give me this info. Oh yeah, the site should probably be vehicle specific and searchable.
There, I said my peace and put the idea out there. All you have to do is make it happen. I'm willing to bet people would pay for this kind of thing. I know I would, if it was detailed enough and specific to symptoms.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2000, 11:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: A good idea, methinks...

I agree.....that would be a cool site for "joe's" like us. I myself have been jerked around by so called professional mechanics. I can't count the number of times they couldn't find the problem or misdiagnosed the problem because of the're ineptitude or to fatten the're wallets. I took my '91 in to have the alignment done. I picked it up a few hours later, payed for it and took it home. The guy told me that he only do so much because I needed to have the upper ball joint replaced and pack the bearings. He said he did the best he could however. I noticed that the steering was still off. When I took off the tires to see what was done I could tell that nothing was done at all. It was obviously untouched. I don't even think they took off the tires to see if the upper ball jont needed to be replaced. He mistakenly took me for a shmuck so I went back and handed him his ass. Sorry for the story but I had to get that one out.

To help some of you who haven't gotten your problems solved at this great BB here is a site where expert Ford technicians volunteer their services. http://www.allexperts.com/getExpert.asp?Category=811. Since the root of the problem seems to be the mechanics' greed for $$$, this site seems perfect.....as far as I know they don't get paid. They do give good information for problems that are specific to Ford. You still have to wait for a reply but they usually do so within a day......woody

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2000, 02:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

This might be a great opportunity for you. You could write a book as you fix your Bronco up and take pictures, this writtten by a regular guy for regular guys could really catch on Ya could tell them just what to tackle and what to stay awat from.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2000, 11:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Cool, that oughta help some. Thanks fer the reply.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2000, 10:04 PM
Mud in my Veins

That's been done, and is available across the country. It's called the "Haynes Workshop Manual". That's exactly how they write every vehicle-specific manual.

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode