93 lift questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 06:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

93 lift questions

Hi, I have a 93 Bronco XLT 5.8L V8, towing package, Auto hubs. From the sticker on the door it has Trans E and Axel H9. I currently have Big O Big Foot AT 32x11.50R15 tires on the original 15x7(?) rims. Last week I noticed that the right front passenger tire was almost bald on the outside of the tire. I took it to have the tires rotated, and the shop informed me the front bushing is completely destroyed, I looked and sure enough it is. Since it has to be replaced I have been thinking about a 4" lift and 33 or 35 tires. After reading thru this board, it looks like superlift is the most preferred. I am looking to make it look beefier while improving off road performance without making a monster truck. My questions are after reading the faq, it says that all bronco's after 87 only have 8.8 rear ends, while I believe mine has 9" because of the towing package, which I am hoping so I don't have to have that changed either. Also I have no idea what the gears are or how to find out or if they need to be changed with the new setup. I would like to keep around the same gas milage and power. I have also gone thru 3 sets of brakes on the front,2 in the rear after only 60k miles, would bigger tires wear them out even faster? Also I would like to put on a TJM15 (if made for my year) front bumper or a warn enforcer bumper as there are no tow points on the front and they would have been really handy the other night when I needed a tow. Would either of those bumpers cause tire rub problems with a 4"lift and 33 or 35 tires. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2000, 11:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 93 lift questions

suggest putting a shield over that passengers radial arm bushing or it'll cont' to get fried from the cat. converter.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2000, 07:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Not sure about the tow package, but I am pretty sure you have an 8.8" rear. You won't need to change it though as they are still a pretty strong rear. I haven't personaly owned anything with one (I have an 82 bronco), but there are guys on this board who will swear by the 8.8 and mustangs have dragged with the 8.8 as a rear for years. I have the Warn classic bumper and it is fairly stout, but I would still reccommend getting a good set of tow hooks for your front recovery points. I put a 6" superlift on my truck, and it wasn't very difficult. I've since decided that a 4" lift would have probably been better, and then just add a bodylift so my center of gravity is so high. A 93 shouldn't have any problem fitting 35's with a 4" lift since your wheel wells are higher than mine are stock, so you should have adequate clearance with a 4" lift. As for gears, it will depend on tire size. I'm running 33's now til the weather breaks, then I'm putting 35's on. I have 4.10 gears and they work, though alot of people prefer 4.56's. If you do lift your truck, I would advise replacing axle pivot bushings, and all other bushings with urethane bushings, and extended brake lines. Don't forget to extend all breather hoses too so water doesn't get in places it shouldn't. Sorry so long, but I haven't been on the computer in awhile, so I guess I'm making up for lost posts!!! Hope I could help

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2000, 09:29 AM
Old Hand

To find out your gear ratio, look up the axle code in the owner's manual, it will tell you the ratio and if it's limited slip. It should also say the with of your wheel on the thing that says the axle code. Your brakes will probably get worn down faster, maybe a good sett of pads and shoes will help, but I dont know for sure.

John
Red 89 Ranger 4x4, 2" lift
Dad's Red 97 Chevy 2500 H.D.
Grandpop's Tan 85 F-150 "tanbuddy"
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2000, 11:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i have 4" Superlift and 35" MudKings on my 88 and they are a perfect setup. my tires are on 15x8's but i know of people running 15x10's and they still fit perfect. you can find your gear ratio on your rear diff cover, there should be a metal tag bolted onto it and it will read something like 8 8 3 55, meaning 8.8axle, 3:55 gears or whatever gearing you have. i have the 5.0 in mine and upgraded gears are next on my list, but you may be okay with the 5.8 and stock gears running 35's, definately 33's. if you go with the Superlift, spend the extra money and get rear lift springs and not blocks, the ride is much better, plus the blocks wear your stock leafs out very fast.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2000, 06:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I installed a Skyjacker lift 3 mths ago on my 93. Changed tire sizes too. I did notice a drop in fuel ecomony. Also noticed that the Auto tranny likes to keep shifting from overdrive on long hills more than it did. Added a K&N filter system and gained back about 1mpg.

Nytom
http://mybigbronco.com/broncotommy/

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2000, 11:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would like to thank everyone for their valued input. I have one more question, if I go with a 4" or 6" lift, what are the shock recomendations to go with it? Also, has anyone had problems with their insurance company after lifting their truck? I know when I first got my bronco, the insurance company would not insure it until I brought it to the office and they took a picture of it to make sure it was not lifted. Thanks again everyone!

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 12:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you get a 4" lift then get shocks specified for a 4" lift and 6" to 6" etc. Other wise your shock would be the limiting factor for your articulation. I have The superlift shocks that came with my lift and they seem to bo O.K. Not the quality of my old rancho 5000's, but close. If you get a 6" lift they also recommend limiting straps to stop the coils from over flexing, and either way you should lower the bumpstops to prevent your tires from crashing into sheetmetal. Although right now I don't have either the limiting straps or dropped bump stops. I'm still breaking in the rebuild on my engine, so I haven't had her out in the woods just yet so I guess it doesn't make a difference. As far as insurance goes, I haven't had anyproblems yet, but they don't know it is lifted. Once I get the engine broke in, and the body redone I'm going to get full coverage and give them pics of all my mods so it can actually be worth something.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode