Oil pressure is 0 at idle, fine above 1,000 rpm??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 02:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Oil pressure is 0 at idle, fine above 1,000 rpm???

I have a 1990 Ford Bronco with 351 V8. The oil pressure drops to zero (red) after the engine is hot at 1,000 rpm or below, but is fine once you accelerate above 1,000 rmp. Has anyone had this problem and know what is wrong? How hard is it to replace the oil pump if this is the problem?

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2000, 05:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Oil pressure is 0 at idle, fine above 1,000 rpm???

my truck ('88 f-150 w/ 351w) has been doing EXACTLY the same thing since ~115,000 miles. your oil pressure is not really 0 psi though...i unscrewed the oil pressure sender from the block and screwed in a snap on mechanical oil pressure gague...it read ~ 5psi at hot idle with the tranny in drive and the parking brake on. Also, there apears to be an electrical problem of some sort w/ my gague. With the headlights on and the blower motor on full, the gague reads significantly higher than with them off....

I think the oil pressure problem is a combination of worn bearings, a worn oil pump and a clogged pickup screen....pulling the oil pan will be a pain in the butt w/o pulling the motor first, which really isn't so bad if you've got a cherry picker and a friend helping.

-John

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode