Dealer BS, Fuel Problem - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 01:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dealer BS, Fuel Problem

I have a 86 bronco with a 302.I had a fuel pressure dropping problem and i replaced the fuel pump on the frame rail and the problem still occurred. I went ahead and bit the bullet and took it into the dealer to get it checked out. After spending $80.00 they told me it needed a new fuel pump or pickup whatever you want to call it in the gas tank. Well acually they said severely. So i went ahead and purchased one at the local auto zone. I installed the next day and once again no dice. I then took it back kinda pissed off because i now know that i spent $80.00 dollars for them to guess at whats wrong. After leaving for a day i had to call them to see if it was ready to be picked up, it was. When i got there they said the fuel pump I installed was not a good enought quality and i should purchase a ford dearler pump. Ingnoring this I went back to auto zone and talked to one of the guys there, very nice guy by the way. We concluded that being a low pressure pump in the tank and a high pressure pump onthe rail the symptoms of a bad pump would be a slow drop in pressure. My truck is expericing very quick pressure drop. After studing the haynes book i noticed a canister that is located on the frame rail. This is a canister that holds gas in it till you floor it and releases it. Also there is a filter in it. So i'm wondering if thats my problem and not this (common problem with aftermarket pumps) as the dearler said. Anybody had this problem before? And is there a way to get my $80.00 back?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 01:40 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Dealer BS, Fuel Problem

Are you referring to the fuel filter? I would change that, maybe it's clogged. Yes, if you have a very big gun you can probably get your money back.

It's a Jeep thing? My Bronco thing will run over your Jeep thing.

Muddybronco
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 12:19 AM

Bronco86

Having an 86 myself I'm genuinely interested in what it turns out to be. When I found this forum I read as much as I could and I remember some poster who has similar problems and changed just about everything from the front to the back of the fuel system only to find out it was something simple. Hope it's cheap and simple for you.

I knew the previous owner of my truck very well and he mentioned he'd already changed the in-tank unit. I verified this when I changed the tank myself a year later. I'm a firm believer in preventative maintenance and would like to change this filter you're talking about too. Let me know the part number and whether you get 40 psi in the eye whwn you change it.

How much was the pump on the frame rail and were there any hook ups to changing it ?

As for getting your money back from the dealer, the gun might work, but here in Canada we don't have that option. We have to do it the old fashioned way, hauling the service manager over the counter, out of his space boots, and insulting his parentage and threatening his person with the loss of certin bodily functions. Come to think of it that usually doesn't work too well either. You could go back, once you find out what it REALLY is, and politely shame the sharks into a garage credit for all or half of the money they charged you, that actually works sometimes.

Best of luck

Malcolm

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2000, 11:05 PM
Mud in my Veins

Although my truck runs on the later fuel system, I did build a truck for a friend, and that one used the 2-pump system that yours does. After visiting every other parts dealer in town, I found a Wix filter with the O-ring for the "dual function reservoir". The name refers to the fact that, on the truck I built, the reservoir also selected the tank to which fuel was returned by sensing from which tank fuel was being pumped. Broncos obviously have only one tank, so the device in their fuel systems is only a reservoir. I had to have them look up the filter for a Ranger, even though I was dealing with a reservoir from an 88 F-150. The curious point is that, in the 88, there was NO FILTER - I only needed a new O-ring. Think about it if it turns out that your problem is a clogged filter and you have another filter in the system.

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode