New, and need some help before i buy - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2000, 03:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

New, and need some help before i buy

Alright as you can tell by my sign in name, yeah i'm a jeep guy, actually a cherokee. Anyways, I think i'm coming to the end of the road w/ my jeep and i have always loved Bronco's. So i was just wondering basic stuff. As in, what are the danas normally in Broncos? How gears, and is there any common problems i should look out for when buying a bronco? What about the engine, whats a good, powerful engine? How high i can i lift it before i have to alter the driveline and things around that department? If you can let me know of all the basics i would appreciate it greatly.
Thanks
Jordan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2000, 06:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: New, and need some help before i buy

The answer to a lot of your questions depends on the model year. But generally speaking I think the 351 engine is better than the 302. In the later years the front axel is a dana 44 and the rear is a ford 8.8 inch. There are lots of lockers and after market parts for both so building one to be bullet proof is only a matter of money. I belive the most common ratio is 3.55.

If you are buying a later model the transmission will likly be an E4OD. Some people like them, some people have nothing but problems with them. Again there are many after market parts and suppliers so building a bullet proof tranny is only a matter of money.

Some things to look out for? RUST. Especially check the tail gate and fenders. I have seen Broncs on the road with rust holes everywhere, Not pretty but they are still on the road. I would avoid push button activated four wheel drive in favor of the floor mounted stick.

I run my bronc stock height so I will leave the lift questions to the others. But you can look here to see a tire size chart.
http://www.bronco.com/lmb/tires.html

All in all the bronc is tough, powerful and able to go alot of places right from the factory. You should have a lot of fun with it.

Let us know what you decide to get and welcome to the Bronco BBS.

Later,
JJ

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2000, 09:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

muddyjeep,

I too am an ex-Jeeper. I've owned a 1991 YJ, 1993 YJ (built up), and 1997 TJ (built up). Like you, I've always wanted a Bronco. I ended up buying a black 1996 Bronco XLT about 3 weeks ago. It has a 5.0L-302, auto tranny, floor shifted t-case, Dana 44 front, and 9" out back with 3.55 gears. Recently, I had a 4" Superlift suspension installed on it to clear 35" General Grabber MT's on 15 x 10 Daytona rims.

First off, let me tell you that a 4" suspension lift is not enough room for 35" tires on 10" wide rims w/4" of back spacing. My front tires hit the front bumper when I turned. I had to use a Sawzall on the front bumper to make some room. Eventually, I will add another 2 inches of lift...probably a body lift.

One of the first things I learned from many Bronco guys was that I needed to swap out the auto hubs for a set of Warn premium manual hubs. These run about $79.99, but you also need to purchase a spindle nut conversion for another $29.99. I have the hubs at home waiting to go on. Probably this Saturday.

From what I've heard, you can put as much as a 6" lift without having to worry about any driveline problems. I guess the stock d-shafts are more than adequate for this much lift.

As for the 302 and 3.55 gears in my Bronco, I like them. Even with my 35" tires. Sure, I would love top upgrade to 4.10's or 4.56's, but that'll be later on once I get the funds together.

As for t-case activation, I think that's up to you. Personally, I like the shifter on the floor. Others like the push button.

When you're looking for a Bronco, just remember the basics. Be sure to check for rust or body damage. Crawl under the vehicle and check for any leaks. Check under the hood. Drive the vehicle. Make sure to try every gear. Ask the owner or dealer if they would mind if you stepped on the gas a bit to see how it performs. Check the brakes...slam on them if you have to. Test the t-case by putting it into 4 wheel drive. Make sure that the A/C & heat work to their fullest. Check to make sure that all of the power door locks and windows work...check the back window.

When I bought my Bronco from a dealer, I gave it a thourough look over. Mine only had 43K on it and was super clean. Not a spot or dent on it. Even the underside was super spotless. It turns out that a lady owned it and took very good care of it. In fact, I was lucky enough to get the original owners manual and window sticker.

Good luck on your search!

By the way, be sure to check out the many big Bronco web sites as well as some good Ford sites....

www.ford-trucks.com
www.truckworld.com
www.bronco.com
www.bigbroncos.com (check out their mailing list)
www.2bigbroncos.com (club with chapters all over the place)

K-9
1996 Bronco XLT
4" Superlift
35" General Grabber MT's on 15x10 Daytonas
Ex-Jeeper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2000, 08:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

muddyjeep,
Glad to see youv'e switched. I have owned a 93 for 4 yrs. I have also put on 60,000+ miles on it. The problems that I have had are : Oil pan gasket (302) fail. This is a very common problem. Automatic hubs break. Should replace with manual ones. Front wheel bearings needed replaced. Rear window safety switch failedl. I just jumped it out. Also, a lot of internal switches burn out. (headlight, rear window control on dash, pillar switch on door, door lock switches). I also have installed a 6" lift about 2 months ago. No prob with any driveline parts. I also have a E4od automatic in mine, Thinking about installing a JET upgrade kit. Seems to shift goofy around the 35-40 speed. It just seems that there are only minor stuff that has gone wrong. The rust on the back door is a major problem. Need to check the weatherstriping on the window. This is the best Truck that I have owned and I have owned trucks since 1982.

Nytom
http://www.superford.org/cgi-bin/sf....&vr2=1&ID=1211

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode