GT40P Heads - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2000, 02:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

GT40P Heads

Hey All,
I have a chance to buy a set of gt-40p heads from a friend cheap. I was wondering if these heads will work with the Bronco style shorty headers? Has anyone used these heads and if so what kind of performace gains did you notice? Here is my plan for this winter's enginge build up.
gt-40p heads
eldebrock truck performer intake
roller cam...unknow specs but pretty mild
shorty headers
bassani high flow y-pipe with high flow convertor
dynomax 3" cat back
And I would imagine that I will have to switch over to mass-air.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2000, 09:04 AM
mcrackin

Re: GT40P Heads

I have read that they bolt on to a 302 or a 351 and bolt on about 40 hp.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2000, 03:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The p heads are from the Explorer. I believe that you need to use Explorer bolt pattern headers. I don't know if you need a modified lower intake or not.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2000, 05:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

the heads burn cleaner, with better mileage and more power compared to standard gt40 iron heads, wich were better than the stock heads on your motor. the major reason for this all around better head is the relocated spark plug..moving the spark plug allows combustion chamber geometry revisions as well as the inherent benefits of an optimally located spark plug....the problem is that with the revised spark plug position comes header and manifold clearance issues. The bolt pattern is the same, but plugs may be hard to get at, depending on which headers you use, you may need: funky u-joints, flexy ratchets, clearance denting your primary tubes on some cylinders, using shorty plugs, and 90 degree boots with heat shielding....if you run platinum plugs (to avoid the hassle of changing them often) and are patient routing the plug wires you should be o.k....i know there's a gt40p website out there with a little bit on a 5.0 bronco motor w/ these heads..

oh! btw, the heads have 7/16" headbolt holes, so they bolt onto 302's w/o steped head bolts, but you'll have to have them drilled to 1/2" if you want to use them on a 351

i think they're worth about 40hp

-John

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode