Broncos - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 12:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Broncos

Hello Guys,
I just turned 16, and I am getting my license in July. And, I hope to buy a Bronco. I want to do some off roading in it, and to run 35's what kind of lift do I need? And, how do you do fender trimming? And, one more, what other kind of mods. do I need to do to it? I think that there is only mud around here, I live in Ohio by the way, if there is any one else out there that lives in OHio/West Virginia/Western Penn. and you want to get together for off roading, once I get it, let me know.
Thanks,
Chris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 03:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Broncos

I haven't owned a Bronco in the chassis sense, but from my buddy's experience ('92)...You will need a suspension lift (might as well go 4"), coupled with some sort of body lift (might as well get a 3"). Or 6" suspension, I think, without the body lift, but you'll need to probably mod your steering a bit. You shouldn't need to do any steering mods with the previous scenario (except dropped pitman arm). From there, well it depends on what you get for a Bronco, engine, etc, also how much moola you have. Regearing the diffs would be nice, with maybe a locker (but not necessary). Best thing is to get out there and see what others, that are wheeling where you'll be, are running for mods. There is an infinite amount of things that can be done, depends on what exactly you want and what sort of wheeling you do. I could go on, but I think others ,more Bronco experienced, will chime in with better chassis related info.
Good luck, PJL

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 04:14 AM

Hey as far as suspension goes, check out my post Superlift 6 Inch. I'm lifting mine 6" and I plan on putting either 35x12.5 BFG M/T or 35x14.5 SSRs on it. I too wanted to lift my truck when i was 16 and now I finally have the money. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 09:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

hey Shovel,

Now that your lift is all installed and done with, what did you end up paying? If you don't mind my asking.

If it ain't broke, I can probably still fix it.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 07:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have an 82 bronco with a 3" suspension lift, and I am running 33's. Haven't had any problems yet, and I have done some pretty serious wheeling mostly mud, and steep hill climbs. You will need to change your gears if you plan on running 35's. Also a locker in the rear would be ideal. I live in western pa so once you're ready to rock and roll let me know. Where in Ohio are you from? I was wheeling near the state line today.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 08:15 PM

Well it is not quite installed yet. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] Still waiting for my 6" coils, block kit, and shocks from Tyres Internationl. They had the best prices, but don't deal with them unless your ready for a complete pain in the ass. It is worth it to pay a little more and get good service. Anyways, here are the prices:

Coils
Superunner front bracket kit
Rear block kit
Pitman arm
4 shocks
----------- Price $698.00

Superlift front sway bar bracket
----------- Price 33.54

Auxillary Shocks
----------- Price $49.98

Front Brake Hoses
----------- Price $78.02

Rear Brake Hose
----------- Price $34.34

Superunner Steering Kit
----------- Price $349.00

Shipping Total: $100
Grand Total: $1342.88

This doesn't include shoot boots which I bought later for about $35. I also bought a Ford SVO axle girdle cover w/stud bolts for about $200 from Summit Racing (a company that actually has their [censored] together), which came in like 2 days. I spent probably around $200 on tools too. I bought a floor jack, 2 jack stands, some big sockets, brake fluid, greese, some new drill bits, and tons of other stuff I can't remember.

Now I need to buy tires, rims, and new gears (4.56). I really want to get 35x14.5 SSRs, but can't choose between them and BFG M/T! I want a tire that can get over 20,000 miles and can wheel like mad. Don't care about noise (like it actually) or ride. Can anybody tell me which is better and why? Or at least which one you would get if you were in my situation.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 10:48 PM

Hey Shovel, in regards to your tire question, have you seen the new Goodyear Wrangler MT/R? It is a very durable tire, and excellent in the slop. The off-road race team that I crew chief for in C.O.R.R., www.corracing.com, we use the Wrangler and we haven't cut or lost a tire yet. Plus they have excellent ply ratings. Here's a link straight to Goodyear: http://www.goodyear.com/us/tires/car/wrangler_mtr.html

post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2000, 04:50 AM

Thanks, I like the looks of the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R. I definetly am going to look into this tire!

post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2000, 08:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey smoothcharlene,
I live right across from Weirton WV, Wintersville Ohio. About 40-60 minutes west of Pittsburgh. And, about 30 minutes north of Wheeling WV. And, about 45 minutes south from Youngstown, if that is where you where wheelin'. And, would I have to change my gears if I plan on running 33's? And, one more thing, do you have any wheel rub at full flex? And thanks for the invite, it would have to be next summer, bummer, I have to dave up money for a Bronco and the lift kit, the wheels and tires, and maybe some lockers.
Thanks,
Chris

post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2000, 10:07 PM

here's a good photo of the tires in action!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14-152819-8552-7-W.jpg (56.9 KB, 6 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode