E4OD, Tow in overdrive or not?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2000, 12:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

E4OD, Tow in overdrive or not??

The owners manual says it's OK to tow in Overdrive. Mis-print?? If so what good is the button on the dash. Gunna tow a 4,200lb Jeep this weekend on a trailer. I'd hate to fry the tranny. Also does anyone recommend Mobil-1 Synthetic ATF, it's supposed to be Dextron-III compliant.

Thanks,

Bryan

82 CJ-7, 97 TJ Sport, 90 Bronco
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2000, 01:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: E4OD, Tow in overdrive or not??

i would tow with the overdrive off especially if there are any hills. you have a 2 ton jeep?? drive it and tow the bronco.......

headers on a 6 banger
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2000, 02:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I dont have my truck with me today but I belive my owners manual (94) says not to tow in overdrive. I can check it when I get home and see for sure. If you tow a lot a tranny cooler will help it live longer. Long Engineering makes a good one. This site sells them http://www.baumannengineering.com/misc.htm
Good Luck,
Jim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2000, 02:12 PM
TEX

<font color=purple>Got a TH700 (GM) not an EO4D, but I never use O/D when towing. Keep in mind that your axle ratio is the same one that was available without an overdrive a few years back (unless you've changed it).</font color=purple>

TEX

http://sites.netscape.net/gumboracing

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2000, 02:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It has a very large tranny cooler up front. It pulls over 3,000 RPM's on the highway without OD. Yes the Jeep is over 2 tons. In stock form they are 3,400 to 3,600lbs. On mine the rear bumper alone has to be 200lbs. Full boxed frame, lot's of skids with added skids, fully boxed steel bumpers, nerfs, it all adds up. Locked F/R and built to hit trees.

I'll just do 60-65 without OD this weekend. Just kick me in the balls and take my wallet, it hurts less than the gas pumps do.

Take Care,

Bryan

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2000, 06:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

you may take a bite at the gas pump, but that is better than the tow truck guy and tranny repairman getting you real good......

headers on a 6 banger
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2000, 06:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would at least try it. You said you have a large cooler on it so why not? If it kept kicking down to drive on the slightest incline, then I would probably take it out of OD. I always thought the button on the dash was just for downshifting while you were towing like you would with a manual tranny. just my thoughts

The Duke

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 12:44 PM
TEX

<font color=purple>My experience with the Chevy was always that with a load like that, O/D heated up the tranny but did NOT improve gas mileage. Wasn't worth it IMO.</font color=purple>

TEX

http://sites.netscape.net/gumboracing

post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 02:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Gunna change the engine oil, and have Pensky flush the tranny. I'll tow without OD and keep it to 60-65. Wonder if they make tranny temp gauges??? Would be a nice addition to a tow rig A-piller. I'd like a real engine temp gauge also instead of "It runs on the 'o' in Normal".

Thanks for the input,

Bryan

post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 04:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

of course they make tranny temp gauges!! I have the dual gauge pods that sit on the pillar next to my windshield. I just have to order a oil pressure gauge and a tranny temp gauge to fill the holes! You can get them from just about any company that makes gauges (autometer, vdo, etc) I'm ordering autometer gauges throug Jegs racing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode