Throttle Body Cleaning - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2000, 07:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Throttle Body Cleaning

Normally when cleaning a throttle body I usually just take the intake tube off and spray the body and plate with the engine running. Is this safe to do with a vehicle with mass air? Obviously when you take the intake tube off you are taking the mass air plate out of the stream and it runs rough and kicks an engine light on. Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2000, 08:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Throttle Body Cleaning

If the thing runs while you're hosing down the throttle plate, do it. It may not hurt to find a sensor safe fluid, and "fog" the MAF sensor at the same time. Keeping a clean sensor is just as important. This way, you don't run like crap while performing your maintenance.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2000, 03:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I need to clean my butterfly valve about once a year (10,000 mi) with some carb cleaner spray. My idle goes down and it will stall at strat up with the A/C on. I just pull the hoses off and spray it off while running the engine. The engine runs great. I have a 88 302 with Jacobs ultra team and 140k mi.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] MG48 - 88 Bronco
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2000, 07:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Did this on Friday. Huge improvement. Mine is at 90K and poorly maintained by the prior owner.

Take Care,

Bryan

82 CJ-7, 97 TJ Sport, 90 Bronco
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2000, 02:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You guys don't need to clean those throttle bodies. Ford made a fix in 1991. Buy a F2PZ-9F939-A kit for under $18. It reroutes the air around the plates by going under the iac solenoid so the plates are not used for idle air any more. No more sludge every year changing the air flow. I bet I have installed over a thousand over the years. (best for 1990 and older, see ford tsb 91-25-07)Norman. (a ford tech)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode