Post deleted by ForcFed - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2000, 11:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Post deleted by ForcFed

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 08:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Power Problem........

Any extra oil consumption lately? If you have alot of miles, you may be experiencing some compression loss when the engine gets to running temp. Your plug gap should be okay if you're not experiencing any pinging. Pull one out, and check the color on the electrode. Regap the set as necessary.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 12:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Some of that power loss is due to a colder engine will run a little richer and then lean out when it gets warm. The ECU controls the amount of enrichment. A dirty air filter will also cause the same problem. I am not fond of the plugs you are running. The problem with these super double extra platinum plugs is that the surface area for a spark is so small that they cannot get a good strike and will actually blow out due to air currents in the cylinder. Saab, Mercedes, BMW auto manufacturers will tell you not to use these plugs for that reason. I recommend a good Autolite resistor $.99 plug. A colder plug will do better will a lot of highway driving and a hotter plug will help on worn engines and intown putt around driving. My favorite plug is the Champion Truck Plug. It has massive electrodes and works pretty good. A good set of Spiral wound plug wires will get more spark energy to the plug. You can do a K&N air filter to free up a little air.

As a side note and maintenance tip, clean out the throttle body and throttle plates. After time, oil and dirt build up on the plates and around the sides of the ports. This will cause less than desired operation. Use a throttle body injection cleaner (like a can of carb cleaner) that is sensor safe. spray everything down in there and wipe the plates and bores off with a clean rag. This may help you out.

Good luck, Eric

If it ain't broke, I can probably still fix it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 03:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

There are several sensors that affect the cold running and warm running of the EFI on the 351. I'm assuming your 89 is the same as my 88 or at least pretty close.

I replaced the Throttle position sensor, the EGR position sensor, the Air temp sensor, the Water temp sensor, replaced fuel filters and sprayed a couple of cans of injector cleaner down the throttle body and had the injectors cleaned when it was all done.

I was trying to fix an over-rich problem where I was getting way too much fuel after things warmed up (and making it fail a smog check) I was told the feedback of the engine can try to fix alot of things and that any one sensor out of whack could confuse things and cause a very rich or a very lean mixture. I decided to just replace all the sensors that were 20 bucks or less each rather than spend a weekend troubleshooting each one or paying someone to do it a 40 bucks an hour.

Anyway, after I replaced all the sensors the smog problem went away. I had the injectors cleaned (had a coupon, never been done...) and it seemed to run abit better still.

If your doing this yourself, the factory shop manuals are really good, expensive but very detailed.

Good luck,

- Dan

99 4Runner (wifes grocery getter)
88 Bronco ** SOLD **
01 TJ Arriving in August
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 08:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, when I changed the idle air motor I did in fact clean everything with throttle body cleaner. I think I might change over to the Champion Truck Plug. I've heard a lot of good things about them. THe reason I went with the autolight double was I work at Pepboys and got a good deal with my discount in order to try them out. WHat about using "AC delco Rapid fire?"
Thanks for the help

"Mess with the Bull and you shall get the horn"
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 08:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

After Driving around, when you lose power, check you fuel pressure! you should have 30 to 35 psi, and when you goose the throttle the pressure should rise. If you don't meet these requirements this is your problem.
Another idea, but not as sure, you Catilitic converter might be plugging up.
Also check your spark, easy way is to remove a wire while running and pull it away from the plug a little, you should hear the spark and see a nice blue spark. if you don't replace your coil. I've seen this but it also produces a spark knock.
Oh and one last thing, everyone has there opinion on spark plugs, but mine is stay away from autolite!!! and Champion. and Splitfires. there all junk. I use Bosch or Motorcraft and have had good luck both.

Ford guy with twin rockcrawling Samurai's [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
[email protected]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 08:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'll check my fuel pressure and as for the CATS......well they are gone. Been there, done that! Looked under the truck after driving for a little while a they were glowing. Went to my buddy and got him the cut everthing from the manifolds back and added 2 1/2 inch pipe into series 40 flowmaster and made a world of difference to me.
I'm going to change my plugs and regap tommorrow, still don't know what plug to go with? I've heard a lot about the champion "truck plug", however nothing about the bosch?
Thanks for all the help!

"Mess with the Bull and you shall get the horn"
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2000, 06:23 AM

AC Delco Rapid Fire

The combination of SVO spark plug wires and AC Delco Rapid Fire plugs, dramatically improved my throttle response. My Bronco doesn't ping anymore either. Two HIGHLY recommended products!

post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2000, 03:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: AC Delco Rapid Fire

Go with the motorcraft plugs, and the Motorsport plug wires. The best on the market.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode