95 f-150 rear brakes do not release intermitantly - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 08:16 PM
mrfixit94

95 f-150 rear brakes do not release intermitantly

I have a 95 f-150, the rear brakes will lock up every once in a while, the brake light and the abs light both come on. If I park it after a few minutes I can hear the rear brakes popping as the pressure bleeds off. I have replaced the shoes, the wheel cylinders, the springs, and the rear hose, the problem still persists. Right now I have the rear brakes adjusted all the way out, in city traffic it still happens. The parking brake hardware is completely missing. So all that I can think of that is left is the master cylinder, the proportioning valve and the abs box. I have a new M/C and a used proportioning valve. I don't want to put on anything I don't have to. Am I missing something or should I just shotgun the whole system? Any help or advice would be great. Thank you, Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 09:15 AM
mrfixit94

update

Since my last post I have replaced the master cylinder, and the proportioning valve. When I pulled the resivoir off the M/C I found black debris in the valves and on the interior of the resivoir, I thought it was black spray paint,
(the M/C was spraypainted black, so I assumed it was overspray) when I changed the fluid and bled the system I pumped out more black debris and green fluid. I have no idea what caused this mess (I just bought the truck) but it seems to be working fine now.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 10:38 PM

Are any of the seals swollen? if so you have contaminated fluid and you could be in for more problems.. it doesn't sound like you have a fluid contamination problem but just be sure you don't. you would be well advised to bleed the abs unit out properly if you had black junk coming out of the lines, it must be done in a specific sequence. I don't have access to this information right now but if you want it I'll try to find the sequence and send it to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 06:50 AM
mrfixit94

That would be great, the sequence I did it in was proportioning valve ,RR, LR,RF, prop valve again, LF. I did that twice and got air both times just not as much on round two. I'm pretty sure I flushed all the trash out of it though. I'm going to wait a week or two before I replace the drums, if it happens again I don't want to smoke a new pair, And one more question should I replace all the E-brake, and automatic adjusting stuff that was previously removed?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfixit94 View Post
That would be great, the sequence I did it in was proportioning valve ,RR, LR,RF, prop valve again, LF. I did that twice and got air both times just not as much on round two. I'm pretty sure I flushed all the trash out of it though. I'm going to wait a week or two before I replace the drums, if it happens again I don't want to smoke a new pair, And one more question should I replace all the E-brake, and automatic adjusting stuff that was previously removed?
Which hardware exactly is missing? the star-wheel? if so this is a must have part, if you don't have it the rear brakes will not work. the only part of the brakes you can do without at any time is the emergency brake cable. The sequence I was referring to was the ports on the ABS control module, you are supposed to bleed each line individually. If you are able to get a good pedal and clean fluid out of the bleeders at the wheels I would just leave it alone.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 02:38 PM
mrfixit94

No, the star wheels are there but the auto adjust "lever" and spring is gone along with the crossbar. I think I can pick those parts up as a kit. I was able to get clean fluid out of all the bleeders. And as yet have had no more issues with them locking up, I don't know if it was the m/c or the proportioning valve that was bad but I know what caused it! I just don't know what all the green funk and black debris was.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 09:33 PM

The cross bar, I'm assuming this is the flat bar that has a slot in each side and a spring on one side and attaches at a 90 degree angle to both shoes, is absolutely essential, the automatic adjustment hardware : the arm and spring : are not essential but I cannot say enough about having the brakes be complete on both sides to have equal braking pressure. I would head straight to the parts store and replace any missing parts. if the springs are old and rusty I would also recommend replacing them on both sides. If you disassemble the brake system on both sides I would recommend a dab of lube on the contact points where the shoes rest against the backing plate. I have used antisieze before but you need to be sure not to get any on the shoe.

Dave
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 06:46 PM
mrfixit94

That was exactly the part I was speaking of. Broncograveyard.com has the brake kits, I'll pick one up. Thank you for your help and advice. Dave
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfixit94 View Post
That was exactly the part I was speaking of. Broncograveyard.com has the brake kits, I'll pick one up. Thank you for your help and advice. Dave
Anytime......

be sure to lubricate the backing plate at those raised points that contact the shoes... this is an often missed point and it really helps the shoes to center easier and keep noises and dragging to a minimum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode