What info Do i need to determine exactly what i have - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 05:11 AM
Jay78bronco

What info Do i need to determine exactly what i have

I just bought a 1978 Bronco. Has an m on the corner of the head so i know it is a 351m. But it has a edelbrock performer 400 intake and the carb says made by holley for motorcraft it is a 4bbl it has holly valve covers. Im not excatly sure what ive got. It runs good. but i dont know what else has been changed. I dont know if you can convert it from the original 2bbl to the 4bbl without doing some other work too. Is there a way to tell without taking the whole engine apart i know that the compression in each chamber is between 138 and 140. I only paid 1500 for the truck. I think i got a good deal its got a lot of new stuff on it. The guy i bought it from didnt really know much about it. I know he thought it was a 351 cleveland, but the m on the heads say otherwise. I am only minorly mechinaly savy. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 10:48 PM
bay79

Post try this

This is a link to mike's 78' bronco web site it has a 70'-80' ford truck and full size bronco VIN # decoder and will tell you the engine size and if you get the axle and tranny codes off the VIN plate it will tell you what they are to. http://www.medicine.wisc.edu/~mrm/bronco/
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 01:50 AM
83FS

might help

you have a cleaveland. i dont think its the oem engine for that truck tho. the 351m/400C is kind of a rare engine used only in 70-71, but itll work. all you have to change wen upgrading to a 4bbl carb is the intake manifold. and possibly putting on a fuel pressure regulator, and if it runs good then its already been taken care of, if it floods after idling for like 10 minutes, you might wanna get one of those, theyre like 50 bucks for a nice one. let me know if this helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 10:45 PM
Stranger

351 clevelands were built from 71-73.none of which i`ve heard being installed from the factory in trucks, all the ones i`ve seen were in mustangs and cougars. 360/390 engines from73 to76 ,351m and 400 m were installed in trucks from 77 until early 1980, the m`s or modified series of engines were low compression versions , rated at 160 hp, they really have no performance value, they are not rare, just undesirable. with a dual plane intake ,750 cfm 4 bbl carb and a cam in the 450" lift range and long tube headers , they make about 225 hp, but they make decent tourque to make up for the lack of hp, which is why they were put in trucks and large cars in the first place. if you posted the casting #s on the block and heads , i could tell you exactly what you had...i have met dozens of people that think they have a 351c in their trucks, unfortunately all of them were 351m or 400 m blocks if the 8th letter in your vin is a s its a 351, if the 8th letter is a s then it is a 400

A bad day wheelin is better than anyday on the couch

Last edited by bc backroads; 06-15-2007 at 11:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode