Window Motor Change - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
Aprentice

Window Motor Change

How difficult is it to change out a window motor in my 87 Bronco? The driverside quit working and it is a major pain not being able to roll that window down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 09:07 PM
Addict

I did the one on my 89 a couple years ago so I may be a little rusty on this; sorry.

Remove door panel.
Make sure the window is up. The window has to stay up. I used duct tape which I taped to the widow then ran up over the door pillar. You don't want the glass to fall!!!

You may or may not have to do this (The power switch on the panel needs to come out. There are metal clips on each side of the switch housing that need to be depressed so you can lift it out. I use a very thin screwdriver and push it in on the sides of the switch)You may not need to remove the door panel all the way. I usually just spin the panel around (so it is pointing upward) and rest it on the ground. I'm not 100% sure that will give you enough room though. Remove the screws on the armrest and the one up by the front vent window (I think that's all the screws). The door panel has some plastic clips attached to it that push through holes in the door. I use a gasket scraping tool (or anything flat but sturdy) and slide it under the panel along the outside perimeter (except at the top). You will feel the tool stop when you get to each of the clips. I then just twist the tool and the clip starts to come out. There are about 3 clips on each side and 4 along the bottom. Then lift the panel up over the lock button (the thing that goes up and down when you lock and unlock the door), and then work the panel off the lever used to open the door. It can be a bit of a pain. Just watch you don't damage any of the wires while doing this! You may have to peel back some plastic wind barrier under the panel to access the motor.

Now, the old motor may be riveted it or bolted in. So you may have to do some drilling. I think there are three of them. Unplug the motor before you start playing in there and make sure the window is still taped up!!!! Look to see how the teeth on the gear arm is positioned on the moter. The new one should get bolted in and I think you will get new bolts with the motor. The motor is somewhat heavy and hard to hold when both removing the old and installing the new. Knowing this, you might want to get some help. Be prepared to scape your arms up a bit doing this job.

That's really about it!

I guess that's enough to get you started. At least with the panel off you can see the motor and decide whether or not you want to tackle the job.

I don't get on here to often, but I will try to check back over the weekend to see how you are making out.

Imagine life with no paved roadways!
Billy
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Aprentice

Thanks for the tips. I especially like the tip with the duct tape! I would not have thought of that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode