Axle Swap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 11:26 AM
Dford

Axle Swap

I need a new axle for my 93 F-150 4x4. The one that's in it had water in it and it whines like crazy. (I just bought it so no, I didn't do it.)

I have an axle from an 89 F-150 two wheel drive that I converted into a utility trailer. Axle is complete and in great shape. If the gears are the same, can I use the '89 axle? Both have ABS.

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 03:49 PM

Re: Axle Swap

Should be able to. They should both be an 8.8
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 12:02 PM
Dford

I don't think it'll work. They look totally different. Thanks for the reply though. It would have saved me a bunch of money if it had worked. The cheapest I can find around here is $650.00 plus exchange.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 09:42 PM

$650!!!! What a rip off. I just swapped out the one on my 92 for similar reasons for $200. Most places around here sell for $350.
The big thing you need to look for is the VSS sensor and ring. You need that on your 93.
you might look into finding someone to do the work if you buy the parts and that might bring you under the $650.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 07:51 PM

Where are you located at? I think I have one in my garage. It's my spare from when my 4 wheel drive carrier took a crap. I've been running a two wheel drive carrier in mine for three or four years. All i had to do was change out the ring gear and exciter ring and shave a little off of the ends of the axle shaft. Been working great since I did it. The one I have will definitely be cheaper. I live in Florence, WI.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I need a new axle for my 93 F-150 4x4. The one that's in it had water in it and it whines like crazy. (I just bought it so no, I didn't do it.)

I have an axle from an 89 F-150 two wheel drive that I converted into a utility trailer. Axle is complete and in great shape. If the gears are the same, can I use the '89 axle? Both have ABS.

Dan

[/ QUOTE ]

Might want to check that again. Like I said, both axles should be Ford 8.8s. Try checking both axle tags and see what you can come up with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode