38's on a 3" - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

38\'s on a 3\"

i know it sounds stupid. most of my truck is run out in the desert no reall crawling. no mud. too hot and dry. the fenders have already been cut out as far as they can go. the fenders have been trimmed 4 inches. there is 8-10" between the body and my current 35"x 12.50 looking to know if there is anything else i need to be aware of? also is it better to go with a 5.29 or 5.13 rack and pinion. the front is running a stock 4.56 the transfer case is not stock but haven't looked at it. it is failing anyways so going to be rebuilt. just curious which is better to go with.
the truck is running a 5.0l 302 with the top half rebuilt edlebrock. the carb has all been redone. rejetted, etc. curious if it would be better to go with a bigger R&P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 03:41 AM

Re: 38\'s on a 3\"

It sounds like you are really going to wheel this so I'll say this, dont' go past 35s on half ton axles. If you want to risk it then don't lock the diffs at all. If you do things will break. The 19 spline outers will be first to die maybe following the ball joints if you are lucky. If this is already old news for you then I'll say that there's no reason why 3" wouldn't fit 38s since you can fit 35s just fine with enough fender cutting. If I were you I'd take what you've got and put 35s on it. If you are planning full out one ton axles then 44s are the limit but I wouldn't go there without beefing up the front axles to 35 spline outers (on a D60). A net friend of mine is wheeling 42s on about 4" of suspension lift, gobs of cutting (he actually narrowed the front end), with a Ford D60 front and a D70 rear. Larry's site Check out my link while you're at it. I don't want to discourage you from building your rig which it sounds like you have a good start on. I just want to warn you that going too big and wheeling will almost definately break stuff. If you are willing to risk it then buy the spares you will need and anticipate breakage so that you will not end up stranded. Good luck. Let me know if I can help at all. NORM
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 12:34 AM Thread Starter

i am currently running 35's i have no fenders they have been cut out completely then have plastic molded in. the top of my plastic fenders stop about 3" below the hood in the front and the rear goes till it hits the body. will look into better axels. do you know what model they come off of. out here in arizona we have a TON of junk yards with no rust. will have to replace parts but still cheaper then buying new. looking to make a good crawling rig. so minimum lift and big tires. too many people out here with big lift and small tires trying to go out. makes pulling people out of a flip fun but sucks to pay that much for no purpose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 12:47 AM

check out the sas thread on fsb. http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/index.php
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode