Bigger tires, Re-gear? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 06:40 AM
Kevin's F150

Bigger tires, Re-gear?

Someone told me a little while ago that if I put a lift and bigger tires on my truck, I have to re-gear it? Those were his exact words. I've tried to search, but I didn't find the answer. Maybe I'm just blind? And while I'm posting questions, how hard would it be to get just 3 or 4 inches higher w/o getting too expensive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 11:01 AM

Re: Bigger tires, Re-gear?

[ QUOTE ]
Someone told me a little while ago that if I put a lift and bigger tires on my truck, I have to re-gear it? Those were his exact words. I've tried to search, but I didn't find the answer. Maybe I'm just blind? And while I'm posting questions, how hard would it be to get just 3 or 4 inches higher w/o getting too expensive?

[/ QUOTE ]
How much bigger do you want to go?
4.10s are usually good for 33" tires 4.56s for 35s. You don't have to regear for a lift but you usually lift to fit bigger tires. Cutting sheet metal is the cheapest way to get bigger tires under there and you can do this to fit 35s with ease on an F150 or Bronco. Any bigger than 35" tires and you will want to consider swapping to one ton axles. And then stuff gets real expensive. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 09:46 PM

Well, I have 33s and fsctory gears and it isnt too bad. Acceleration is decent and power is so so. When I go to 35s I will deff regear though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 11:21 PM

Do you think that the person that told you that "you have to re-gear" would be talking about the speedometer? If not, then maybe he was thinking that if you wanted the same stock performance you would have to re-gear. Gears are an alternative way to add power to your truck. Sure you could add a larger engine or add hp boosting parts but if you are not geared for the way you want to drive, then all that hyped up hp may not help. NASCAR's change their gears for every race... go figure. Bottom line is, I guess, if you are satisfied with the performance after the new tires, they are fine... If not, then either beef up the engine or switch gears. Keep in mind that it will probably be cheaper to change gears. Also, if it is geared to high (for speed) then more hp won't help in the lower end for pulling or climbing.

For what it is worth, you have my two cents.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 04:37 AM
Kevin's F150

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I have 33s and fsctory gears and it isnt too bad. Acceleration is decent and power is so so. When I go to 35s I will deff regear though.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, if I go to 35's, then I will want to re-gear? How hard is that? Is that something I can do myself, or pay someone to do it? Btw, thank you everyone for helping me out, I'd be stuck in some rut by now if it wern't for these sites and guys/gals!!!!!!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 08:24 AM

You can do it yourself. If you buy them from a local store, ask them for some pointers. I subscribe to Peterson's 4wheeldrive magazine and they have articles on these types of repairs and upgrades. If your rearend has a third member, I think it would be easier since you can remove the gear set from the housing. If not, it still shouldn't be much harder. Give it a try, but don't forget about putting oil back in the pumpkin and don't put too much or too little. Let us know how things work out.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 10:33 AM

Gears are expensive and it's worth finding someone who is up to the task. The main tool in setting up gears is the bearing puller. In the D44 you will have to pull the side bearings and set shims between the bearing and the diff. The 9" has adjusters and is a little easier. I don't recall how to set the pinion depth on a 9" though. I did my own on my 4.10s and it was worth the knowledge but for my 5.13s I'm paying a friend to set them up. It's just insurance to make sure they are right. My 5.13s cost around 200 a side. Most places will charge around 300 a side to set up gears which is expensive. If you can find someone knowledgable see if you can strike a deal. My friend is doing both sides for me for 250. Which is a good deal IMO.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 12:47 AM
Kevin's F150

Ok, so, does anybody know a place in or near bodega bay/sebastopol who does gears for cheap?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 12:43 PM

Read through some of the posts at wt4x4.com. I think someone just asked this question recently. I know there's a guy in Sac that will do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode