Steering wheel not coming back to center - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Addict

Steering wheel not coming back to center

I recently replaced the steering box (with a rebuilt unit) on my 89 Bronco due to excesive p/s fluid leaking. Now I have a problem with the steering wheeel not returning to center after completing a turn. Almost like something is too tight.

I did a search but could find nothing on this issue. I saw where some people removed play in their steering box by tightening down on the preload screw. Is it possible that the preload was set to high which is causing this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Addict

Re: Steering wheel not coming back to center

I think I may have gotten a defective box. Going back to Pep Boys to get another one! Guess this is one of those things I should have bought from the dealer. Yeah, it would have cost more, but I don't think I would be having to do the job over again!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 08:37 AM

Why not see if it needs to be adjusted first? Bring it down to Pep Boys where you bought it and ask them about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Addict

Thanks for the reply Norm!

I did call Pep Boys and explained what was going on. They inturn called their tech line. They said either the box was defective or the pitman arm was installed wrong. I told the guy the pitman arm was keyed and I didn't think there was any way of istalling it wrong. Needless to say they did tell me to bring it in and they would replace it.

The next one I got (which I had to drive 10 miles to get b/c none of the other 3 local Pep Boys had any steering boxes) had damaged threads on the shaft. I didn't find this out of course, until I got everything apart and went to install the pitman arm nut. So I had to return that one too!

I ended up going to Advance Auto. Not only was their part cheaper, but it looked nicer, and was packaged better! This unit worked!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 12:15 AM

Pep Boys sucks in case you hadn't figured it out. lol. Glad you got it together ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode