Tranny won't gear down! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Tranny won\'t gear down!

Ok guys, this is a little early but maybe ya'll can point me in the right direction.

I got my Bronco a few weeks ago and had to put a new balancer on and everything was good. I noticed right off that the shifter won't go down into 1st or 2nd, just drive. I checked the linkage and it is good underneath so its probably in the steering column.

Anyway, I noticed that when I get on it hard while driving, it won't gear down. I'm thinking vacuum leaks could be the problem but I don't know. I had my Chilton book out and it tells me how to repair and adjust things but doesn't tell me what a particular part does or how it works, like the Throttle Valve on the transmission. Could that be part of the problem? It moves freely and seems to work on the outside like it is supposed to.

Since I can't gear down myself it just luggs along until it gets up to speed. As I slow down naturally, it shifts down fine, just not when I get on it hard.

I'm not sure where to start so any info would be great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 10:33 AM

Re: Tranny won\'t gear down!

What year is your bronc? If you've got a C6 then your kickdown linkage might be missing. On your shifter (once again if it's a C6) i'd go underneath. loosen the adjustment nut when it's in park and see if you can't adjust it enough to get 2nd and 1st in your trans. I stopped running my kickdown linkage a long time ago. When I need more power on a hill I just downshift to 2nd manually.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

I'm not sure if it is a C6 or C4?. Chilton lists a couple of trannys, I haven't looked long enough to figure out which one I have. It is an '86 Bronco with 5.0L EFI. It has Cruise control that mysteriously works, go figure.

I unhooked the linkage underneath and it will shift through all of the selections but the linkage in the steering column is bound up or something and I can't go below drive while driving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 02:19 AM

You probably have the computer controlled trans then. 86 was the first year that Ford went to FI in the Bronco's and only in the 5.0L that year. If you had a 351W then it'd be a C6 for sure. C4s weren't put in FS trucks. Thank God!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Norm, I'll let you know when I get down to the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode