Sky Leaf Hangers - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Sky Leaf Hangers

First off I want to let you know that I did not use these in the way Sky built them for. They are intended so you can remove your stock rear hanger and simply bolt this hanger up to the stock bolt holes making it easy for you the consumer. Me, I'm a little different and had to do things my way. My last wheeling trip I busted the welds on my stock hanger which I lowered to gain lift when I first built the truck. I had a feeling this system wouldn't last.

Here are some pics and explanations of what I did:

The first thing I did was place the rear hanger. I did this so I could better set my shackle angle when positioning the front hanger. I modified the hanger by cutting material off the bottom because it appeared I was going to hit my shackle when mounted in the front hole. I turns out that I ended up using the rearward hole anyway. Oh well. live and learn. It still may prove helpfull in the future if I ever decide to go with longer shackles and use the front hole. If you look close you can see I've done this shackle flip 3 times now. lol

I then placed the front hanger. Notice that I had to drill a center hole. The reason for this is that there is not enough clearance for the leaf in the front and rear holes, it rubs. Had I known this when I ordered the shackles I would have specifically asked Sky to center drill the hanger with a 5/8s hole. Drilling holes this big with a dull bit sucks. Start small.

It appears that I've yet again extended my wheelbase. With my current leaf setup (stock bronco leafs w/ 2 F150 leafs added) it appears I'll clear the tank just fine.

What's your guys oppinion on the driveline? I'm thinking I may have to get it lengthened. It stays around the same length under droop because of the shackle movement.

It now appears the front is slightly taller again. I'm considering redrilling the holes in the front hangers higher up. I'll also be adding an F350 main leaf. I'm not too sure what that will do to the ride height or how many leafs I'll be going with so time will tell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 11:12 AM
Enthusiast

Re: Sky Leaf Hangers

On mine, Im concerned about the axle angle to the road... I believe the front is 5 degrees when compressed.. mine will be a daily driver though so it will matter more when hitting the pot holes etc... and going 100mph down the road. I havent angle checked the rear yet on mine but I used the 85's frame as drill templates so should be the exact same as the 85' so all angles should be good?

Todd
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Re: Sky Leaf Hangers

With a CV shaft you want the axle pinion to point as strait to the transfer case as possible. With a regular 2 ujoint shaft I think aiming for a little below is good. There are shims that you can buy that will bolt right up to your leaf pack (Better than the tapered blocks that come on the bronco stock) I think they come in 4 and 7 degree angles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode