Lift kits - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 03:24 PM
YamanX

Lift kits

I need some helpful info on these. I am, like anyone...Looking at buying a lift kit. I have a 1989 F-150 4x4, manaul, STD cab. Was thinking 6 inches.

How do they work? What all am I going to get, I have some of it figured out. But with a kit would I just get axle blocks for the back, and longer springs for the front? Or what? I know my truck right now has a 2in lift in the back.

I would like a get a kit that isn't going to hit my pocket book too hard, but still be a good one. I don't know what to look for. So any help would be nice. And maybe some websites to help me. Thanks a ton.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 12:10 PM

Re: Lift kits

First off, SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH...you will find alot of info on this topic. AFter that if you still dont know what you need to know post again.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 10:01 AM
SwampDonkey

Check out pro comp components. they seem to be the least expensive quality lifts I have found so far. Go to Summit racing and check em out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 01:04 AM

What you intend on doing with your truck really depends on what you want to buy. If you want to wheel seriously then I'd start collection components for a Solid axle swap. In the end it'll probably run you the same that an actual "lift kit" would have and you'll have something more substantial. A D44 can handle up to 35s and wheel as a general rule. If you want to lock the front diff then go with a D60 and a one ton rear of your choice. I chose a 14 bolt because lockers are cheaper for it but a D70 has alot more gearing options. If you want/need to retain the ABS then you should go with the 10.25 rear. There's solutions to every problem, some just cost more than others. As far as brands go IMO procomp stuff is crap. Rancho builds some quality stuff. Fabtech is top of the line and kinda getting into the offroad racing arena as well if you are keeping the TTB. If you are looking to build a wheelable beater then nothing beats cutting the fenderwells and bolting a set of 35s on. That's the best wheelable bang for the buck IMO. I've seen it done and it's cool. If you're new to all this then bolt up some 32s or 33s and just wheel what you've got for a year. If you are just trying to look cool then er..... Um buy procomp!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 11:14 PM
YamanX

Haha. Thanks. That helps a ton. Although, some things threw me off, like TTB, and stuff like that. For the Dana's, I ma guessing to go to a salvage and get those there? Solid axle swap? Please expand on that one. Thanks a ton.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 01:42 PM

Ahhhh Michaelson. you have much to learn...
Dana/spicer is an axle manufacturer. They have built several different axles for different automotive manufacturers. Generally the larger the number the bigger the axle. For fullsize trucks a D44 (Dana44) is usually the smallest they bolted up to a 1/2 ton truck. Ford manufactures a few of it's own axles as well but you'll learn about that later. This is the more common Dana axles out right now. Forgive me if I miss a few: D30,D35, D44,D60,D70, D80.

The infamous TTB (Twin traction beam) Fords solution to IFS (independant front suspension. For hard core wheeling it's become crap in the eyes of many enthusiast although some were able to limp by on it for some time (yours truely included) It's more popular in the offroad racing arena where it can really come allive when modified. I hope this helps.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 03:32 PM

Hey Norm, you forgot the Dana 50 front and 61 rear. HEHE

BTW, stay away from ProCRAP, go with Rancho or Fabtech, very good kits, although you cant beat the BDS no questions asked warranty.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 08:19 PM

Dana 35, D50, both crap! I think the problem with the 61 is no locker options. What did the 61 come in anyway. The D50 IMO was ford's attempt to sell off the rest of it's 3/4 and 1 ton TTB D50 ring and pinions. The only good thing about the D50 is that the TTB version's got a bigger U joint on the slip yoke. It fits the D44 too. Same spline count and everything. Why would you increase ring gear strength just to keep the axleshafts the same as the D44? Someone on high was smoking something when that happened. At least the 3/4 and one ton stuff all have solid axles again.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 01:11 AM

This is true. I know of a few people who have done the Dana 50 slip yoke upgrade on thier Dana 44s becuase of the larger u-joint.

To tell you the truth, I have no idea what the D61 came in. All I know is LMC list parts for it so it must be out there somewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode