Removing brake rotors on a 89 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 06:46 PM
GFCH

Removing brake rotors on a 89

I am trying to remove the front brake rotors on my 89 Full size Bronco. They ain't coming off like I expected they would.

How do you remove the rotors on this thing? I am am beginning to think it is not as simple as every other brake rotor I have replaced (take of wheel, slide off rotor -the end)

Many thanks

G..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 08:54 AM

Re: Removing brake rotors on a 89

Is it not budging at all? If not try persuading it with a few taps from a hammer or mallet. Not on the braking surface of coarse.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 10:32 AM
GFCH

My first thought was that it bonded over time because of the standard rust but before I got too emotional with it thought I'd ask.

It now appears to me that I must remove the hub first before I can get the rotors off.

I was hoping someone could give me a few hints before give it another go.

If that doesn't work I'll go find the "instructions"

Gord
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 12:30 PM

they should just come off unless theyre as your feared, rusted to the whole assembly. they make this stuff, dunno what its called, its in a yellow spray can at like autozone or some autoparts place, it sprays and orange liquid out it and destroys rust and penetrates deep into whatever it is, try that and keep soaking it and let is sit awhile then take a long metal rod and use a hammer and try hammering it between where you thiink it should seperate. again, dont strike the brake surface, good luck
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 12:37 PM
GFCH

Every other vehicle I have ever worked on the rotors just slide off, sometimes they need a tease to break the rust seal but they always slide off. These don't.

My primary method is banging with a hammer, if that doesn't work I use the back up method..a bigger hammer.

Got new rotors for it so damage to the rotor is of absolutely no concern [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Off to the library to read the instructions..just like Ford to do something different...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 04:12 PM

Is there the typical little thin washers that hold it on? Shouldn't be on every stud but on my lazer it had 2 on each wheel.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 12:26 PM

dont know how your progress is goin, but you might also try placing a hi lift jack of a scisors or bottle jack in there somewhere and try forcing it out, that might work. keep us posted on how it goes, and good luck
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 12:44 PM
Mud in my Veins

STOP.

You do have to remove the hub first. Click my signature & look in the Brakes & Hubs album. Everything is shown there, including torque specs on the bearing nuts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode