Idle Surge on a 88 Xlt - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

Idle Surge on a 88 Xlt

Hi,
I've been reading these forums for a few months now and Finally have a question for you guys.

I have a 1988 Bronco with a 302 EFI, Factory installed Plow Package with the 2" lift, D44 Front and a 8.8 Rear with matching 3.53's and BFG AT 32x12.50.

Just recently it had a few problems arise that I cant for the life of me figure out
1. My Idle Surges when the truck is sitting in park between 1000 (about normal) to 500 it almost stalls out.
2. When in Gear it will surge if Im sitting at a stop light not as drastic but you can feel it trying to lurch foward.
With both these problems if you touch the gas ever so lightly it goes away. My check engine light is NOT on either so I havent tried a code reader yet.
3. My Temp Sensor Just tonight never went above the N on the Normal writting In fact it never even got there. Checked my oil no water in there so I know the head gaskets not going (yet with My luck) Any Ideas whats going on with this poor truck

Also another Problem this truck has had from Day 1 is my oil presure gauge is real screwy sometimes it'll just drop all the way down behind the low mark, now I have added a Aftermarket gauge and all is fine with the O.P. I was just wondering if this is a common problem with these trucks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Re: Idle Surge on a 88 Xlt

ok well I went to do a tune up on the truck the other day (timing basicly) timing was dead on but I've noticed that ever since I pulled that termanitor out and put it back in the idle surge has completely gone away Weird makes NO sence to me
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 08:08 PM
Veteran

it will come back, trust me, but usually it is just a build-up soot/carbon in the throttle body & the ports of the idle air-bypass valve. clean out the TB with a rag and brakleen, unbolt the iabv and soak the passages & it ill be good to go for about a year, but be patient, the computer will take quite a few cycles to get accustomed to the change in air/fuel ratio & idle may be a little high for a while...

works for me time and time again, the last 10 years
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 02:10 PM
kemicalburns

first always pull codes, you dont need a reader for this just a paper clip and the ability to count. also never use brakecleaner on a throttlebody. there is a special coating that will get removed and cause other issues. always use throttlebody cleaner. check out www.fordfuelinjection.com on how to scan for codes. also check out fullsizebronco.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2005, 09:48 PM
newsboys

Don't mean to sound old fashioned, but did you check for a vacuum leak. sounds very much like one.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

OK pulled Codes (sorry took so long.. Very Bad week replaced rear axle) No coeds what so ever with KOEO and KOER talked to the guy i got it from (friend of mine) and supposedly this truck came with a Few ODD ball options 1. Extended Crank 2. An Idle Surge that was supposedly to help fuel waste by lowering the RPMS at long idles (neither of these I believe are true)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2005, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
talked to the guy i got it from (friend of mine) and supposedly this truck came with a Few ODD ball options 1. Extended Crank 2. An Idle Surge that was supposedly to help fuel waste by lowering the RPMS at long idles (neither of these I believe are true)

[/ QUOTE ]

BULLCHIT!!!!!!!!!

Clean or replace IAC. Very common problem. I actually bought another one so I can have one ready when the other gets carboned up. At least once a year.-Bob
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 09:18 PM
Bob SWMO

SlickerThanYou...in English,please...IAC??
and where is it?

Also, even a toothbrush and TBody cleaner will help surge temporarily...but hang on to it!!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 06:41 PM
Veteran

The IAC or as i mentioned beforehand as a IABV (idle air by-pass valve), is mounted to the side of the throttle body, a long cylindrical aluminum piece with two wires going to it. it adjusts the idle air flow by means of a servo motor moving a pintle valve. If it plugs up or the motor isnt operating smoothly, it cannot stable the air /fuel mixture fast enough for a constant idle speed. Other factors can cause the same effect with fords speed density injection system: high mileage engine wear,timing chain off a tooth or badly worn, vacuum leaks, improperly adjusted throttle body plates to mention a few, none of which would throw a trouble code.

extended crank??? WTF!
BTW, yes those oil pressure guages are notorious for that.

Kemicalburns, where did you hear of *brakleen* removing a coating from the throttlebody???

sure your not speaking of carb cleaner which is extremely potent?

Im not suggesting that i dont believe you, but i didnt know that this particular TB had ANY coating, unless its just wax, it just appears to be plain aluminum to me, and i have never seen anything wipe off on the rag , would it make a difference if its *chlorinated* or *non-chlorinated* brake cleaner? The stuff i use at work can barely remove the cheap paint off a crapsman toolchest... anyhow, it has always ran *much* better afterwards....
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 01:04 PM
kemicalburns

well why else would they sell throttlebody cleaner and carb cleaner. brake clean is costic and removes everything. ask around FSB .I didnt know either
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode