Idles high on start up - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 03:42 PM
rotartiller

Idles high on start up

First post for me here. I have a 1989 Bronco 302. I had the motor rebuilt about 5000 miles ago. Bored it .10 over, flat top pistons, shaved the head a wee bit, long headers, and dual exhaust. Went back with a stock cam. No emmissions whatsoever. Well, unless you include the EGR valve. That's about it. Anyhow, it has recently developed the annoying trait of idling high on startup, especially when cold. It goes up to 2000-2300 rpm and eventually comes down to around 1100. It will do this even when warm for the most part. This is my first Bronco and my second car with a computer on it, so I am at a loss on how to go about diagnosing the problem. Could it be that the engine has just broken in and loosened up a bit and it may just need idling down? Is that common?

I have checked for vacuum leaks and found none. The truck and motor run better than ever. Smells a little richer than I like, but the plugs indicate a near perfect burn. My gas mileage is about 13 mpg no matter how I drive it. I suspect it should be better than that. Thank goodness it can run on 87 octane if it has too. No pinging at all. I don't know about error codes, but am clueless there. I'm sure with all the emissions removed their might be a buttload of those to sift thru anyway.

I guess the thing to remember is that this just started about a month ago. Otherwise she has and is still running like a champ with the exception of this high idle. Thanks in advance for any help rendered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 12:43 PM
peyton

Re: Idles high on start up

I had the same problem on my 95 Bronco. I tried changing the idle air control valve but that didnt help. I got a 121 when i checked my codes which indicated i had a problem with my throttle position sensor. I checked the voltage on it and it was 1.5 volts idle when it should be <1V. I replaced it and that fixed my problem. the new one is at .9V idle which gives me between 800-1000rpm. Before i would be lucky if it dropped down to 1100rpm idle. Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode