replace window motor in tailgate 1990 Brono Help? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 12:24 AM
Bronco90

replace window motor in tailgate 1990 Brono Help?

Does anybody know if I need a drivers side or passenger side window motor for tailgate window?
Any tips on replacing PW motor?
Also having trouble with power door locks motor locked up.
I am new to the Board,Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 09:50 AM
I8ajeep

Re: replace window motor in tailgate 1990 Brono Help?

You need a rear window motor for the tailgate window. Take the rods out of the doors that run the power locks, then you can at least lock it manually. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Make sure you need a tailgate window motor, I thought I needed one when I really needed a neutral safety switch on my '88. Good Luck.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2005, 03:34 PM
Veteran

Re: replace window motor in tailgate 1990 Brono He

As mentioned above, be sure it IS your motor bad before buying a replacement. many things can cause the rear glass not to function properly and one of the most overlooked problems is simply the striker bolts which are the studs on the interior of the rear qtr. panels, if the plastic bushings on them have cracked off the tailgate wont actuate the safety switch properly thus not allowing the window to operate. the motor may just need a gear/clutch kit for around $12 which consists of 3 plastic rollers and a gear (most auto parts stores carry this repair kit) i have even seen them fixed with 3---1/4" nuts...

power door lock solenoids are $$$$, and a pain to replace, may want search your local boneyards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 09:48 PM
Bronco90

Thanks for the tips I am sure it is the motor it trys to go up but is too weak. Comes down fine.
I just unhooked the PDL and use it manual.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 08:56 PM
Bob SWMO

Bronco90, if the motor tries and has trouble going up, you'd be well advised to try the cheaper bushing kit mentioned above. BTDT on our own Bronco 90, F-150 P/U and, Merc Gr Marq several times in 300M miles.

The reason it's too weak to push up the weight of the window is because the friction surfaces of the plastic (nylon?) bushing in the kit are too worn.

Now if the window is stuck down so as to not allow access to the wiring, switch, and motor etc, motor shows NO sign of activity, amp gauge doesn't flinch when either switch is tried, fuses have been checked, door latches all check out"I'd" appreciate knowing what should be my next step.

But, if your motor still show life and the window will move, you still have hope. Be sure to lube the window channel too to decrease the work on the motor both now and in future.

Hope this helps.

Now can someone help me with my edition of this type of problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode