Towing a travel trailer, how big? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 09:17 AM
flkayak

Towing a travel trailer, how big?

Hello,

I'm planning on upgrading from a tent to a trailer for camping soon and wish to know how long a trailer I can safely tow (remaining within the weight limitations of course).

I have a 94 w/ 351 and tow package, lifted 6 inches with 35s on 10" wide rims.

I've got my eye on a 31 ft rockwood that is light enough, but I've never towed anything bigger than a 14 ft boat and the manual only discusses weight restrictions.

Anyone with any experience towing a travel trailer with a bronco please let me know what ya think is the limiting length.

Thanks

Randy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 09:59 PM

Re: Towing a travel trailer, how big?

I would personaly be alot more concerned with getting this combination stopped before I was worried about what it would take to get it rolling. Even with a good brake control and trailer brakes on both axles, you will be hard pressed to get good braking performance towing a 31 footer with a Bronco. Just something to consider.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 03:05 AM

That and the Bronco's short wheelbase makes towing a squirly experience. Just my .02 31 is wayyy to long IMO. Maybe your joe stud on towing though. I'm happy with my 18 footer. I tow it with my Dodge 3/4 ton truck with the Cummins. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 09:19 PM
4x4forddad

I agree with GTRider245. The lenght is not the problem. It is getting all at weight stopped. Vehicals were desined to tow in stock form. When you modify with lift you change everything. Also if you have never towed anything that big before I would suggest getting into a smaller unit till you get used to towing. I would start out in the 22-25' range. I would also highly recommend that you spend the extra and get the upgaded weight distribution hitch with the sway controler.
Hope this helps
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 09:39 AM
flkayak

Thanks for the feedback guys,

Guess I should have weighed the bronco first...turns out that w/1/2 tank of gas and myself the vehicle is 5500 lbs total w/Front weight 2860 (60 over the front gvwr) and rear weight of 2780.

Add in the wife, son, a mere 100 lbs cargo in the bronco and topping off the tank brings total weight to 5916 lbs....leaving only 384 lbs left before the gvwr of 9300 is maxed out. With 384 lbs that I can allocate to the trailer tongue weight, that leaves me with a maximum trailer weight of 3200 lbs ( or if you want to be safe, subtract 20% for a safe load of 2560 lbs).

Turns out that even the 24 foot hybrid trailer I was considering is "too heavy" for the vehicle because I have greatly reduced the cargo capacity with oversized tires, wider rims, lift kit, & roof rack...the pounds add up.

So, the wheelbase and the weight issue both tell me not to tow even a 24 footer so we continue to tent camp for now.

I'll probably sell the Bronco next year (shucks...I just put a new tailgate on it too;-)and look for a F250 with a diesel...that will handle the 24 footer.

Regards to all

Randy
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 09:36 PM

Glad to help, glad it all worked out [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goodpost.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 09:40 PM
4x4forddad

Glad you asked befor you bought!!
Willing to help anytime [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode