ilumination help!!!... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2005, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

ilumination help!!!...

hey guys im looking for some xenon bulbs for my 1995 bronco, but i dont know the model of the bulb, and need to know whats the original watts on those bulbs, any help whit a good brand would help...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2005, 09:02 PM
Veteran

Re: ilumination help!!!...

Are you looking for bulbs that will actually improve vision or just ones that imitate the luxury cars equpped with HID (high intensity discharge) lamps, and that have a bluish tint?

The bulb type your model takes is a 9007. the wattage should be 55/65. Increasing wattage on a headlight with plastic lenses is a bad idea as the extra heat will melt plastic after long usage, plus the extra UV will fade the lense even further reducing output, never mind overloading the stock headlamp switch with excessive amps if you dont install an aftermarket headlamp relay harness. If your looking for just posieur fake HID bulbs, asian "Luminics" bulbs found on ebay are your best bet. Dont waste your money on "US made" sylvania silverstar bulbs, although they put out a nice colour they have a very short lifespan of only 50 hours, not worth the $25.00 each price. Being that your located in Venesuela, im not sure who would ship you european osram/sylvania silverstars (NOT the same as the short life US ones) or philips vision plus bulbs that are actually cheaper ($17.00) and have high output + longlife. I have also found these high quality bulbs on ebay from various vendors. Hella +50 zenons are also a good choice which i purchased from "rallylights.com". Just remember, true light output is measured in lumens not the so popular "K" colour. HID luxury bulbs produce 3000 lumens at 35watts vs the average halogen (including 4K zenons) at 1300 lumens on high 65w beam. The fake hid blue tint actually loses luminousity.

Theres not really much you can do to improve light output in a plastic headlamp housing as its really the design of the reflector that does the work and being yours was designed to U.S. DOT s crappy requirements to avoid offending oncoming motorists, i would highly recommend a quality set of driving/ fog auxilliary lamps for more illumination.

Try ebay or www.rallylights.com for hella bulbs. For info on auto lighting, see www.danielsternlighting.com

hope this helps....
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

quite a help, now, i wonder, i know HID lights are way to expensive, so, those cheap bulbs are really xenon lights or just a halgen bulb whit a blue tint??? im thinking about buying some eurolite bulbs, cant find hella or bosh...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 09:29 PM
Veteran

Halogen bulbs with a Zenon gas mixture can be found in both the quality bulbs such as: osram, hella, narva, phillips but also in the other popular and overpriced asian bulbs like PIAA for example , but if you can find halogen /zenon +30% or +50% bulbs without the "blue" coating on the glass, all the better. That blue coating cuts out much of the light spectrum that HELPS night vision. The american sylvania silverstars have that blue coating, the german osram/sylvania silverstars Do Not.

believe me, i made the mistake of buying those imitation HID looking bulbs awhile back for my wifes mazda with faded plastic housings, what a mistake, those blue colored bulbs put out less light at night than a bic lighter [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/30.gif[/img]

Eurolite as i see it here in the states, is just plain garbage but if its just that BMW Lexus look your after, buy em. I did a lot of research on better quality lighting after i got a $$$ ticket for missing a yield sign on a pitch black road [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] , so i made big improvements with non-DOT H4 european headlamps.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

lol, thanks for the help man... ill be thinking about that...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 12:12 AM

You got the alternator to feed those puppies Agin ?

I'm currently running those Sylvania Silverstars and they look white to me and my buddies, though I do not have the OSRAMs to compare them to. I have looked at mine next to my buddy's Bimmer and his are blue mine is white IMO.

Tell you, the Extra Visions were brighter IMO, and 1/3 the price too.

What really helped was making up some 12 gauge headlight harnesses, with 3 relays and running them off the 130 amp 3G alternator.

I use the third relay to turn the lows back on with the highs and it's awesome !!!!

I can see into the next county at night ! As a buddy says "If you're driving behind a car approaching Malcolm with his highs on, you can see the guy's brain functions through his skull !"

Sixlitre
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

lol, thats kinda the effect im looking for... but ill rather keep it stock and go for some extra driving lights... but im gonna go whit halogen/xenon lights, just to try... if they dont make me happy ill go back to halogen bulbs... dont want to play whit my night driving, i must go back some 40 miles from my university to my home every night, monday to saturday, and its not a fun trip when its pitch black...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 07:36 PM
Veteran

Here are the pages which explains it all....

www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/blue/good/good.html and also see: www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/blue/bad/bad.html

maybe this will explain it better [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Malcolm has an 86 with sealed glass beam lamps as i do, i wouldn`t suggest rigging the wiring to run both hi & lo in plastic lamps if you have ever priced replacements.

ever wonder why they developed "blue blocker" sunglasses??? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode