At my wits end with 2bbl motorcraft NEED HELP!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 02:19 AM Thread Starter

At my wits end with 2bbl motorcraft NEED HELP!!!

Ok on my 84 f150 302/2bbl i bought a few weeks ago it was extremely easy to flood and surged real bad at idle so i bought a new fuel filter and a carb kit. went through it put it back on and started it and gas starts shooting out the vents on top of the carb! well i think i need a new float so i go ahead and replace it and set it to spec guess what gas shoots out the top of the carb again! tried lowering the float some.... Same thing! what the hell? Is my fuel pump putting out to much pressure maybe screwed up?? I know even before i took it apart it could sit for a couple weeks and you could start it without ever giving it any gas infact if you did give it any it would flood. DO i just need a new carb? or what??? any idea's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 03:54 AM

Re: At my wits end with 2bbl motorcraft NEED HELP!!!

Check your fuel pressure ... Shouldn't be more than 4-5 PSIG. Didja put the little spring back on the needle when you replaced the float? Could be it isn't closing all the way.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 05:11 AM

Re: At my wits end with 2bbl motorcraft NEED HELP!

Check that there is no debre in the needle and seat, check gasket/washer under seat for cracks. Also check the carb bowl
where the seat threads in for cracks. If no cracks put it back together make sure you have the seat tight, but not gorilla tight, you don't want to split gasket or crack bowl. Has teflon tape been used on the fuel line threads ? If so remove all of getsome liquid teflon for the fuel line fittings.
Sometime little pieces of the tape break off and interfear w/ the needle and seat seal.
Hope this helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 11:57 AM
kemicalburns

why even bother with a 2brrl. get yourself a 4barrel intake and carb off ebay
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Couldn't see any cracks.. Needle and seat are new... Spring is there...I hate to go to a 4bbl on this because its an old beater for hauling and i don't want to dump $ into it if i can make what is already there work.. Does seem like there is alot of pressure behind it when the fuel shoots out the top of the carb though. I don't have anything to check the pressure with would it be a good idea to just buy a new pump?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 05:09 AM

is mechanical pump or electric ? if mechanical i doubt the pressure is to high, electric may be. Is float lvl correct?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why even bother with a 2brrl. get yourself a 4barrel intake and carb off ebay

[/ QUOTE ]
If he is running the 2100 or 2150 autolite then it's known to be an awsome off road carb as well. I'm currently running a 2150 I got off a 351M on my 351W. So far so good. I still have to get it in some twisty/ steep spots to see how impressed I am. I was unsatisfied with the 4V Edlebrock I have. If it's a street cruiser I'd say sure throw a 4V on it. If not I'd stick with the autolite 2100 or put a Qjet on.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Well i fixed it turns out that when i bought my carb kit they gave me the wrong needle valve? It fits in the seat a bit loose and the float was pulling/pushing it at an angle... Swapped in the old needle/seat works fine.. Figured it out by having somone start it with the top of the carb off then i was able to push down on the needle to keep it from flooding and see what it was doing. Thats an $10 O'rielly rebuild kit for you i guess.... Runs awesome now wish i had the specs on this engine it runs circles around every 302 i've ever owned and i've had a couple EFI 302's it will smoke em' and its bone stock other than having the smog crap removed and an EGR blockoff no cats.. Pulls off 17.5 mpg if you keep your foot out of it (that was before rebuilding the carb so i imagine better now..) Its a street truck so one day might go to a 4v intake/carb know somone that has a holley street dominator intake sitting around but for now its an extra truck/hauler.. Would like to find a diffrent tranny its got a 3 speed manual I didn't even know you could still get one in 84' its a floor shift now because the coluum shifter was shot. Its got a hyrdraulic clutch also... wierd.. thought about finding an SROD or m50d and swapping it out since it has 3.55 limited slip rear-end its got awesome take off... Needs new exaust has crappy home built dual exaust system that ends under the cab.. Talked to my exaust guy about running 2" duals off the manifolds with no mufflers and 5" crome tips for $175.... That would be sweet......
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 05:22 AM

well glad you got that solved now it's sounds like your realy gonna get to have some fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode