347 stroker in a 1990 Bronco - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

347 stroker in a 1990 Bronco

Just wondering if anyone has built a 347 stroker and put it in a Bronco? I know that you have to buy the mass air flow kit for it but am wondering if there any thing else you have to do to make it work. Example racing injectors etc.

Also, does anyone else have the same problem I have with my 1990 Bronco. I've got a fuel injected 302 in it and it seems like I am replacing the serpentine belt every 6 months because it starts to make noise. Sounds like two chipmunks duking it out. It's driving me nuts. I'm thinking that maybe my damper pulley is getting bad. Not sure though. Any thoughts?

I'll post some pics of my ride one of these days. I just had the whole body redone. All new complete panels put on it. No expense spared. $10,000 worth of body work. Still cheaper than buying a new truck. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 04:28 PM
kemicalburns

Re: 347 stroker in a 1990 Bronco

spend half the cash, stick with the speed density setup and swap in a 5.8. i was in the same boat you are 2yrs ago. went to a 5.8 and was easy, cheaper and frankly a better setup. 347 is great in a racer . if your interested in this swap let me know i can help make it real easy
the chipen could be from idle pully going or a bad alt/smog pump pulley as well.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 02:09 AM

we have put 347 in cars but not in trucks if you are looking for torque go with a windsor or even better a stroker windsor 393 or 408. with the right set up you can make very nice numbers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 09:30 PM

The person you are looking for is Shovel...he hasnt been around in a while but he had a Bronco with a 347 in it. He liked it alot, Ill see if I cant fidn some PMs from him somewhere.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 09:33 PM

Here is a PM he sent me a while ago. He gave some links to people who have done the same swap and thier opinions.

[ QUOTE ]
It was more work and money than a typical rebuild where you just bore it .30 over, but it was well worth it. The power difference is amazing. Overall, it was the best modification I have done on my BRONCO and I haven't had any problems yet. I would definetly recommend it.

Check out these links

302 VS 347

5.slo0w (Has cost listed at the bottom)

[/ QUOTE ]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 06:09 AM
BOLT

You need more torque as a primary focus... You can do this with a 351W swap... You'll wanna grab up a computer and harness and complete motor from a junk yard... make sure it has the same tranny... Then it's a straight bolt in... You could look for a newer vehicle that has Mass Air which would be my first choice as you can add motor mods and see some gains...

If you go with a 347 stroker it will cost some change and you MUST address the MAF conversion at the outset for sure... All in all the stroker 347 will cost you... The Speed Density to MAF will cost you...

I picked up a 351W with E40D tranny, harness and computer all for 800 a few months ago... for my buddies 90 Bronco...

My 2 cents anyway... Good luck
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

I've seen 347 motors putting out 600 hp and 600 foot lbs. of torque. So even though most people believe they are just race car motors they definitely are not. Price is not an option. I don't care how much it cost. And as for the MAF thing, it's covered. Costs $700.00 for the MAF kit but will be well worth the $$$$. Thanks all for your input.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 08:10 PM
Veteran

The 5.0 block (which isn`t as beefy as a 5.8) most likely will fail with anything over 500HP. If have seen them back in my machine shop days, with the block cracked right down the middle of the lifter galley, from the #1 cam journal to the rear of the block. Even if your buildup never reaches this output, a stouter block as the 5.8 has, and the NEED for torque at a lower rpm than a stroker would be the better route to go in a 5K lb. bronco...

But, if $$$ is of no concern, enjoy while it lasts....
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 01:46 PM
kemicalburns

if money is no option do what you want. it sounds like you know it all anyhow so why ask us.

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode