Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco (https://forums.off-road.com/ford-67-96-f-series-78-96-bronco/)
-   -   electrical (https://forums.off-road.com/ford-67-96-f-series-78-96-bronco/209712-electrical.html)

bbxlt 06-12-2005 12:10 PM

electrical

helppppp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i am running a 1988 broncoxlt w/a 1987 supercharger fuel injected 5.0..

my problem is i am not getting proper charging from my system.
i only show full charge at amp when i am turning 2000rpm.

i have had alt checked and even replaced alt. with what i have come up with with my little abality to do electrical it that on the big square plug from alt, which goes back to solinoid with a fuseable link the single wire from solinoid to fuseable link to the 3 wires is getting hot.. is this normal??????????

also the 3 wires coming from the small plug at alt. i get strong light w/test lite on the yellow/white stripe wire, a semi brite lite on the solid yellow wire, and a very dim lite on the green/red stripe wire....

again HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

kemicalburns 06-20-2005 04:42 PM

Re: electrical

replace both the positive and negative batt cables. make sure the neg cable is grounded good. I would then look into a 3G alt upgrade. these are far better alts and you can find a 130amp at a wrecking yard for cheap. then go to fordfuelinjection.com and pickup the wiring harness and fuseable link . this will complete the swap an probably take care of your issue.
i suspect that your alt has a built in regulator thats probably hosed, or the wiring is old causing to much resistance which then creates heat.

BRONCOMANIA 06-20-2005 08:44 PM

Re: electrical

Did you replace that 3 prong connector along with the new alt?
they are usually supplied with rebuilts, as ford had a problem with that connector shorting and causing fires [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

I had actually witnessed my bosses dads 5.0 T-bird burn to the ground a few years back, due to that piss poor wiring harness design [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

i think the engineer who designed it went on to design the cruise control switch in the 2000+ trucks [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img]