84 f150 302 need help!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 05:08 AM Thread Starter

84 f150 302 need help!!

Just bought on 84 f-150 2v 302/3speed 3.55ls anyway was driving it home and it had not been really out on the road very much for the last few years and when id first start stepping on the gas it would have a dead spot and cut out and then go.. anyway stopped at the gas station to clean the windshield(tree sap all over it) and went to start it and it just cranks and floods.. I checked the coil for spark and it is firing but can't get a spark at the plugs? cap and rotor looked descent so did the pickup coil. Had to get a ride and let it sit but i did pull the module (blue) and going to get it tested as soon as the parts stoor opens up. ANyway... is this likely the module or what? any idea's?? it was running really strong as soon as you got it past the dead spot(before it crapped out) the wiring is all seemingly intact and not rigged in any way. the only thing thats really been screwed with is the emmisions junk (don't care because i don't have to smog in my county thats why i got it cheap)... Anyway any idea's on this would be great i will check on here before i take off to go try to fix it when i get up. Its about 20 stinking miles from hear and it really sucks.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 11:39 PM

Re: 84 f150 302 need help!!

If the coil is sparking during cranking,a nice healthy spark.
I would put money on the cap and rotor. the rotor may be leaking spark through the center to the dist shaft.
Just for kicks check the coils secondary tower for corosion.
and try a good secondary coil wire.
Module is prob good and the only way I ever tested them, is by letting them get hot. running motor and drop light on them , then smack it w/ a hammer if the truck quits it's bad
Good luck Wes
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Well had the module tested and it tested fine. Drove back out there put the module back on cranked it over (without touching the gad pedal) and it fires right up! got home let it sit a few hours pumped it once tried to start it and it floods! if you don't touch the gas before you start it than it starts fine.... I'm asuming this is a carb isue? I bought new cap & rotor and new plugs and wires for it. Going to pickup a rebuild kit for the carb. As i said it has a dead spot when you first step on it but other than that it runs like a bat out of hell for a 2v 302! i'd compare the power to my old 77 351w 2v. Did they do somthing in 84' to bump the power a bit on the 302? It will run circles around my buddys 85 EFI 302. And seems to be getting around 15mpg. Thinking of swaping the 3spd for an m50d later on it already has a hydraulic clutch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 08:59 PM

Glad ya got her going tring to remember is that a V V carb?
I haven't gone thourght 1 of those since 1990. But I recall we had numerous problems w/ the choke settings and most of the time replacing that little platic arm w/ two rods ?, man you don't use it ya lose it, on the pass side top near airhorn.
and correcting the settings was all we had to do. the model we were working w/ at the time were 89-91 crown vic's w/ 351w's
Police interseptors/ also canadian tow package.
V V carbs need some very special tools. If it my truck and I lived in a state w/ lacks emission laws I would bolt a 500 cfm holly 2V on that it'd make your head spin [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Good luck
Wes
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

Its a non electronic electric choke 2v which one i have no clue.. looks like all the old 2v motorcrafts to me.. does look like the tube from the manifold to the choke for heat is busted off. thought about a manual choke kit. IT had some goofy emmisions exaust crossover behind the heads that leaked so i plugged it. Also chucked the smog pump and its plumbing. When i get my carb done i am going to go through and pitch every un-neccicery vac line and emmision control. Plug the EGR just keep PCV, power brake vacuum, the vacuum advance and the vacuum for the power valve. I've got a 600 edelbrock 4bbl sitting around it might end up on there later on if i can find a cheap 4v intake. The 3spd kinda sucks because its got a MR gasket floor shifter but i set it up a bit better than the guy had it. Wish i could find the parts to fix the coluum shift but that i am sure is like finding a needle in a haystack since its an 84' i didn't even know they put 3spds in anything after 79' untill i saw this. Body is pretty solid, inside of the bed is a beat up from hauling wood. But paints original, no bondo couple rust spots nothing major all the crome and glass is good. everything works (except the heater core started leaking so i temporarily by-passed it). Its got a sliding rear window and waggon wheels with 235's. Had a bit of an oil leak but i replaced the PCV valve and cleaned the vacuum line out and it just about completely fixed that. 150k, 1 owner who always changed the oil at 2000 miles and i got it for $400 not a bad deal in my opinion. Also planning on getting new exaust on it. The truck has 2 glasspacks right under the cab. sounds good but its anoying. Thinking about just ditching the glasspacks and having 2" duals with no mufflers ran out the back with some crome tips on the end.. Friend of mines 360 is setup like that and it sounds wicked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode