85 Bronco EFI - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 11:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

85 Bronco EFI

I am having trouble getting my 85 Bronco to run. It is a 302 4-speed truck with the early EFI system. I am wanting to guess the problem is the Throttle Position Sensor.
I came to this conclusion based on when I punch the gas straight to the floor it goes full throttle right now. When I give any other amount of throttle it spits and farts out the tailpipe.
I have checked for spark on all 8 cylinders and they are all firing with no misses. I cleaned all 8 spark plugs and the wires are fairly new expensive ones. New cap and rotor. I have ruled out spark except for maybe the possibility that the coil isn't sending one hot enough...but I am doubtful on that right now. I also am doubtfull about it being a fuel delivery issue since full throttle snaps right now and the problem lies in partial throttle.
There are three sensors in my throttle body and I am not sure what they are and what they affect. Please look at the pics and tell me if you know what they are and if they may be the cause. (These sensors cost a plenty and I would like to try to buy the correct one first before replacing all of them!)
On the left side is this thing...is it the air flow sensor? And the thingy on the bottom...is it the TPS? (Throttle position sensor?)

And this thingamabob...what is it? Airflow sensor, manifold absolute sensor...???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1424341-TPS.JPG (51.4 KB, 68 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 11:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 85 Bronco EFI

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/violin.gif[/img]
I appreciate any help here I can get...here is a pic of truest example of Ford at it's finest! Please think of the mud pits...help me get this thing on the track again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1424351-bronco4.jpg (80.5 KB, 36 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 03:47 AM

It's good to see you Hake. As much as I hate to say it most everyone that was here before is here now. If you can't get anyone to answer you here then that would be the place to go. There's ALOT of traffic there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 04:24 AM

Ok the one on the bottum is your tps senor, if you have an ohm meter they are easy to check. TPS is is just a variable resistor as the throttle opens an closes resistance goes up and down. they tend to go bad in the spots where cruises is.
What you want to see is an continous ohm reading from closed to wot(wide open throttle). If you the meteer go to infinity, put a new switch on. No adjustment needed.
ok Item on the driverside of throttle is an IAC motor(idle air control) this is not a input sensor to the computer. An iac is output comand from the computer to control desired idle.

Last item on pass side is your EGr Valve metal part. The sensor on top is EGR position sensor.
I do have some Ford compter control manuels avial to me
If need help w/ codes or spec post it
Wes
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 04:37 PM

I'm really getting to like this JWharden guy. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] He seems to know what he's talking about
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 11:32 PM

Thanks norm come from keeping a fleet of fords on the road [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 11:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm agreeing with Norm- he seems to know his shiznit!

I went down today to Tug-n-Jerk Auto Wrecking today and pulled a throttle body. When I went to put it on I realized it had water heating lines going through it and mine didn't. I plugged one end and blew through it to make sure it wouldn't be an issue. It wasn't...yet!
I put it on and RPM's were about 2000. Horrible screaming coming from unde the hood. I figured bad seal so I took it off and gooped it up and put it back on. No screams for a minute, them it started again. I felt for the air leak and found a brand new crack. The water line model throttle body is about the size of a water passage wider than the non water passage model. It hits on the EGR and caused a leak, which with more torque became a crack.
It still had the schmitty acceleration at mid throttle. Either it isn't my TPS or that TPS was bad too.
Damn Ford and their 1985/1986 EFI systems. Can't use a code reader on the early years so you just have to start replacing parts.
The shop where I work has a meter so I will bring it in to work on Monday and test it there. I'm sure the shop guys will know how to run the meter and I will know what to looks for now!
Thanx for the input JWharden. Anyone else with any ideas let me know!

NORM! I'm still around, just working a messed up schedule of rotating days off and shifts. I don't know if I am coming or going or if I've already been there!
Didn't you tell me you are in Montana??? With the Snort guys? Allan Lundberg is having a playday this weekend. He has side by side mud pits that are as snarly as snarly can be. DEEP AND MUDDY! He also has a kick bass OB course complete with jumps and cars to drive over. If enough people show he will run one race class complete with trophies- X-Class.
He had an event a few weeks ago and went in the hole about $1500. If enough people show he said he may charge an optional $10 all day entry fee and $1 spectator fee. But not many people around here seem to be into it so it'll be me and him and a few of his buddies. Let me know if you want to go- my phone # is 509-939-9125 and I will be working day shift through Friday.

Hey- check out my web sites! I got bored and figured, hey? Why not?
Mudallica web site
Go to the page where my pictures are and click on any picture of the Dodge (Mudallica) and it'll take you to my other site where I have about 240 pictures posted...mostly of wheeling, some of my other hot rods and some pics of my dogs.
Take care- my new email is [email protected]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 09:30 AM

pull the tps off the bone yard throttle body stick it on your orignal 1 and put it back on. Did you grab that water model from a 351 motor ? I don't recall a 302 w/ water ports. but all the 351's i've have had them.
And since you have your old 1 off get an old tooth brush and carb clean and clean the crud from between the throttle blades and the bore. That will help if you have a stall after 1st crank.
let us now how it goes
Wes
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 08:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am still sitting at step 1 where I use the ohmeter to test the TPS to see if that is even the problem.
Nobody from the shop worked today so I will have them test it tomorrow.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 09:32 PM
Veteran

My 86 5.0efi has the coolant passage in the throttle body, and you can scan yours for codes, the hookup is hiding behind the relay/vaccum cannister behind the battery on the RH inner fender panel. backprobe the tps with a multimeter while manually opening the throttle plates (haynes manual explains how) and watch for a smooth resistance transaction, that will confirm the condition of the tps, and yes it does sound like the culprit to me also...

good luck, Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode