Cracked front rotors, Meineke troubles - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 12:16 PM
Rockyrat

Cracked front rotors, Meineke troubles

In 2000 I took my truck to Meineke for what could pretty much be called a brake overhaul. Installed new rotors, drums, pads, shoes, calipers, etc. In 2003 I took my truck to a different Meineke and had the pads and shoes replaced. Everything else looked good. On May 16th of this year I took my truck to still a different Meineke for a brake check and to have my cat replaced. Here's where the fun begins. I was told (and shown) the front rotors had heat cracks in them due to the rear brakes being out of adjustment. The pads and shoes had plenty of wear left on them and did not need to be replaced. Of course Meineke will not go so far as to say that the last shop misadjusted my brakes and that's what caused the cracks. They claim that brakes come out of adjustment on their own with use (something I've never known). Over the last 2 years I've rarely driven the truck (maybe 6 months total use). Today the shop manager says that my brakes will need to be adjusted every 3000 miles or so, when the oil is changed, or so he claims Ford recommends, which I'm going to check on. My dilemma is how I can prove that the adjustment made in 2003 was so bad that it caused the cracks, suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 05:21 PM

Re: Cracked front rotors, Meineke troubles

A picture would be worth alot here. I thnink he's full of ****. Tell him to warantee his own shops work if he thinks you need new rotors.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 08:13 AM

I don't how bad the cracks in your rotors are, but if they very short and thin in the pad wear area only and the rotor have plenty of metal left I would have them resurfaced and call it good. I have cracks as these and machined them out numerous times, as long they disapear before .010" over min thickness.
As for your rear brakes out of adjustment cuasing this I don't think so. Did you have to pump the brake pedal to get a good high pedal ? Front disc brakes on most cars and trucks do
70% of the braking. Trucks sometimes have hydralic load compensation to adjust the amount of rear brake applied. No load little rear brake max load, max rear brake.
Also since no one is allowed to arch brake shoes to fit the drum anymore, 100 or so miles after replasing the shoes
they have fit themselves to the drum and may require adjusting. Alot of self adjusting drum brake setups stop working, dirt, rust or in proper reinstallation. If you don't use your parking brake frequently they may not adjust.
I always check the drum brake adjustment on my cars at oil changes, is easy for me to do at work, and find that an adjustment is needed or I adjust them becuase I'm there and only take a minute.
Back to the cracks I would say it was the Chinse rotors that the 1st shop installed. Another possablity would be the calipers not releasing, cuasing exesive heat to build up.
If the rotors are Blue and maybe throwing greese from cap.
I would inspect closely the calipers and hardware.
Some machinic should never open their mouths, they give us all a bad name. I'm sorry you got a song and dance from this guy, but I would not return to that shop nor send my friends.
Hope this helps
Wes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 03:39 PM

Cool! The man sounds like he knows what the hell he's talking about. Welcome JWharden! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 12:23 PM

Rockyrat, you summed up your problem in the first sentence - Meineke.

I took my Jeep into the local store to get a pair of mufflers and the clowns gave me so much double-speak I finally left . . . Right after they quoted me over $400 for 2 mufflers, 4 hangers, 4 feet of pipe and 2 90° bends. Needless to say, Meineke is no longer on my vendor list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode