Help: newly aquired 87 Big Bronco won't start - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2005, 06:40 PM
Dru71

Help: newly aquired 87 Big Bronco won\'t start

I picked it up at auction relatively cheap, its an 87 XLT 4x4 Bronco with a fuel injected 302. The cap and rotor have been replaced and my problem is this, It will start and run for maybe 5-10 seconds if it has been sitting for a little bit, but then won't start back up, I suspected the fuel filter, replaced it, and still the same problem. I am new to fords so very unfamiliar with the 302, I am leaning tword the TFI ign module, any info or help on my situation would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 05:31 AM
Kuzmichj

Re: Help: newly aquired 87 Big Bronco won\'t start

Hi I have a 1990 Bronco and I have been having some of the same problems with mine I had to replace the pick up in the distributor, My truck would run for about 10 mins then when I would come up to a staop it would stall out and not start.
I also had a problem with the EEC and the fuel pump relay's
the plugs were all corr. (green wires) and the one relay was screwed. try listening to yuo relays see if you can hear them click, I am not sure if any of these are causeing your problem but that's what was causing my problems. Good luck
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 03:04 PM

Check out this site I have nothing against this one but there's not as many people here. You will find your answer at FSB and maybe even find a new home. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Use the search there as there is alot of info that's been covered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 04:09 AM

Been thinking on this 1 for a day or two, hard to diagnose over the net [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]- Any how does the igntion key/cylinder feel when you crank the truck. If it feels hard or seems to turn to far before engaging the starter, I would inpsect the igntion switch( not key cylinder). Mid 80's through late 90's Fords ign switchs had a problem coming apart, was several recalls.
Even if your truck was repaired under a recall or has had the switch replaced check agian.
As the switch separtes some of the power curcuits don't make contact, could be why your trucks quits after start up.
Let us know what you find either way
Wes
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 12:10 AM
Dru71

Never thought of that, Haven't got around to changing the module yet, if that doesn't fix it, I'll head for the ign switch, thanks for the advice
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 12:49 PM

Might check for trouble codes also..
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 05:45 PM

I'm embarassed. Once I say no one is posting here any more you all come back out of the woodwork. GREAT! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 07:16 PM
Veteran

Another item, you mentioned you changed *the* fuel filter, im not sure what year ford quit using the *dual function reservoir* , but my 86 5.0 efi has 2 filters, the first one hides behind the tranfer case skid plate in a cannister which is the reservoir, and the skid plate has to removed to access it. If yours has this setup, that filter more likely is stopped up than the inline one under the mastercylinder.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 02:01 PM
Dru71

pretty sure it only has one, we got it to run and drove it for about 100 yards before it died again, and I can keep it running as long as I keep giving it gas while sitting still
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 04:09 PM
Aprentice

My 87 has 2 fuel filters on it. So you may want to check.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode