won't shift after body lift E40D - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2005, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

won\'t shift after body lift E40D

I put new body mounts and a 2"body lift on a couple of days ago. Long story short- Was not careful enough when I jacked the body up and jammed the MPLS and linkage up- [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] because I didn't loosen the linkage first! The body lift instructions said to cut and weld a piece (supplied) onto linkage but only with the 3" lift no the 2" Now when I try to shift it it soo easy but doesn't go into any gears it just stays in park...as if something is broken. I have tried everything but can't figure this out. I really don't want to take it to the tranny shop again [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]. Any suggestion or solutions. I have posted this in a different forum with no responses.-Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 11:09 AM

Re: won\'t shift after body lift E40D

climb under your truck and check out the linkage. I'll be willing to bet you will answer your own question. Something either loosened or disconnected during the lift
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

I did that already could find anything. I think something inside [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] broke. Off to the shop it goes- Thanks anyway-Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 04:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Disconnect your linkage from the nuetral safety switch on the side of teh transmission(driver side, there is a wiring harness plugged into the top of it.) Once the linkage is disconnected you should be able to grab the small lever sticking out of the switch and shift it through the gears. It should be relatively stiff but you should definetly feel it clunking through them.(with the engine off, of course) If you cant feel this then you have damaged the internals that connect to the switch or the switch itself. I too have had a ton of e4od problems lately, so I feel your pain, good luck.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Re: Solution!

I took to local shop and the replaced the Internal shift linkage and MLPS-by forcing it I snapped it. They also had to weld a 2" piece on the linkage to compensate for 2"body lift. They were kind enough to change the fluid/filter all fo $200. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/gituar.gif[/img] Didn't think that was bad considering my stupidity! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img]- Bob
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 10:13 PM

I say you got out of it real good
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

I would agree! I could think of a better way to spend 2 benny's. Like a soft top down payment!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode