Tranny issues - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Tranny issues

It's been awhile since I've posted on here, I've been busy will graduation, new job, new town, new car, etc. But I'm glad to see this board is still alive and kickin'. Ok, now on to the post..

My tranny has been giving me a lot of issues (and it has a right seeing as how it has close to 200k miles on it). When I start up the truck and stick it in reverse (or 2nd for that matter), the idle will fall to around 250-300rpm and then die. The only way I can get it going is to gas the motor to hold the idle up. I have to do this for about 10-20 seconds before the motor will finally pick up the idle on it's own. Once it does this it acts fine until I have to shift it back into reverse.

Does anyone know what this might be? It feels like the torque converter is trying to lock up and stop the motor. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2005, 03:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Tranny issues

first of all what transmission do you have? I had some similar problems with my E4OD, it would stall the motor in reverse a lot of the time, and eventually I lost 1st gear completly. I had it rebuilt and the clutches and bands on reverse were all torn up and there were metal shavings all throughout the transmission. So the first thing I would do is drop the pan and see if there are metal shavings and pieces, if there is you know you need a rebuild, if there arent it is probably a computer command issue, the computers on these things can be picky and there are a lot of sensors and wires that can get messed up.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2005, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, it's an E40D.

I don't know much about tranny's so about how much would it cost to rebuilt this thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 04:50 AM

I wish I could help on the tranny question Mat. I just wanted to say welcome back and good to see ya. Most of the guys that were here before have moved here but check in here periodicaly as well. I don't know if your tranny has completely gone the ghost but if you need to limp on it I'll recomend Lucas Oils additive. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 08:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just had my E40D rebuilt for $1900 with torque convertor. The thing you have to look at here is what some shops call a "rebuild". Most of the shops I called were between $1200-1700, but this is with a wimpy torque convertor, no towing or heavy duty internals, no shift kit, and most importantly none of the updates that Ford has made to the E40D since its introduction in 1990. If your E40D is pre 1992 like mine it needs several different updates, which a good shop does as part of a rebuild but it costs more. The shop I went to was the most expensive but they gave me a dual clutch towing torque convertor, shift kit, all the updates, and HD internals so it was worth it as far as Im consinered. Oh and these prices are for bringing the tranny in, not the truck, I removed it myself and saved about 300 on labor, so add about 300 to all the prices I gave and that is what it would be if you brought the truck to the shop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode