tailgate rust question, help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 11:57 PM
kamiyama

tailgate rust question, help

I have a 94 Bronco..
The lower tailgate has rust spots on it..

Question,
How do I remove the window from the tailgate to get inside to fix this problem...

Or how else is this problem fixed...

Or what else can you tell me about this problem that would help me...?????????????????????

thanks

kamiyama
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2005, 12:52 PM
K5Blazerman77

Re: tailgate rust question, help

you shouldnt have to take out the window. dependting on how bad it is either cut it out or and weld in new stuff or sand it down get some rust neutralizer, and use body filler if you have to.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2005, 06:29 PM
kamiyama

It's not really that bad that I feel I have to get to the inside.. but I felt this would be the way to go..

So pretty much.. work from the outside inward..

What seems to be the next question would be could paint to match what I have..

kamiyama
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 08:24 PM
Veteran

Bronco lower tailgates are notorious for rotting out due to water dripping past the shelf on top due to deteriorated outer belt strips. You definitely should do a thorough inspection of the interior of the tailgate before painting cuz a few months later, you may be in for a real shocker...

work from the outside inward? Thats opposite of how the rust works.

All you need to do is open the tailgate, remove the access cover that has about 8 screws, push the striker bolt lock latches *in* on both sides of the tailgate as if the tailgate is in the closed position, then stick the key in the lock to extend the glass out so you can inspect internally. Some recommend you support the glass while doing so, however i have done this many times with no problems but if your concerned about the glass busting, by all means support it with whatever you can find the approximate height.

lower repair sheetmetal is avail from places such as jcwhitney.com, etc.

P.S. DONT forget to pull the latch to release the lock catches and roll the window back in before slamming the tailgate back shut [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 04:53 AM

Drill drain holes in the bottom and hide the dammage with diamond plate. Well... That's what I" gonna do! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/codger.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode