Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco (https://forums.off-road.com/ford-67-96-f-series-78-96-bronco/)
-   -   87 Bronco Diesel? (https://forums.off-road.com/ford-67-96-f-series-78-96-bronco/207305-87-bronco-diesel.html)

posar 04-11-2005 05:16 PM

87 Bronco Diesel?

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone has dropped a diesel engine into their Bronco. I have a rebuilt 6.9L from a F250. Would I follow the guidelines set for the gas big blocks?
Looking forward to hearing from you...

BigNorm 04-11-2005 07:46 PM

Re: 87 Bronco Diesel?

Get all the bracketry off of the F250 and it should bolt right up. I don't know if the xmembers were different for the Diesels if they were then you will want to swap that too. It can be a royal PITA grinding and burning all the rivits but it would be awsome when done. The best part is that it would be done using all factory parts. All F body frames were pretty much the same. You could drill additional holes if you had to but you can bet some if not all the holes will be in the frame allowing you to have a good template. Keep us posted. I'd love to run a diesel.

posar 04-11-2005 10:28 PM

Thanks for the Info - This is definitely my next project and I Will keep you posted. My 6.9L is sitting in a 1985 F250 2WD and it would be put to better use in a 4 wheel drive. I am a little concerned though about the weight - that engine is a monster. Do you think there is any issues with the Bronco frame?

BigNorm 04-12-2005 05:36 PM

Just make sure you use everything the Diesel did and you should be fine. All F Bodied Frames were built pretty much the same. The running gear is usually what made it a 1/2,3/4, or 1 ton.

BRONCOMANIA 04-16-2005 06:49 PM

do you have the tranny and/or bellhousing also, it is a heavy s.o.b. so you most likely will have to use 3/4 ton coil springs. Gonna be a project im sure but if you can work it out, id like to hear how it turns out [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

BigNorm 04-17-2005 03:08 AM

I forgot about the front coils. You definately want to beef those up. You may have to go aftermarket. Check out Deaver Spring. I'm not sure if they deal in coils but if they do I'd go with them. You have to remember you are adding like double the weight of a stock Ford engine up there. Maybe you can get the coils off the donor.

posar 04-20-2005 03:15 PM

Well...the 6.9L is out of a 2wd F250 Standard transmission. The Bronco is automatic. If I want to keep the standard transmission, I will have to do some modifications (SOME is an understatement!!!). About the coil springs - I should be able to swap them out of the F250-what are your thoughts?

Rob

BigNorm 04-20-2005 05:27 PM

Give it a try. I know someone that ran 2WD coils when he lifted his truck. I believe the 2WD coils lift the truck slightly more. Give it a try. Worse case scenerio you will have to buy new ones and taking them on and off on our Fords is about as simple as it gets.

curtcon 04-20-2005 07:12 PM

You could also try acme truck parts for the coil springs just order them for a truck with a diesel they were pretty cheap.